PhD Student - Efficient Data Analytics for Vehicle Traffic Simulation (m/f/d)
Dresden, Saxony, Germany
Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Driven by a commitment to sound operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in telecom and enterprise networks, devices, and cloud technology and services. Our ICT solutions, products, and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world's population. With 180,000 employees, Huawei is committed to enabling the future information society, and building a Better Connected World.
The size of our cloud platform is gaining momentum and it is already planet scale. Huawei Cloud is one of the largest and fastest-growing platforms in the world. It has strong presence with over 40 availability zones located across 4 continents and 23 geographical regions, covering locations such as Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa, or Brazil, among others.
Huawei's Munich Research Center is responsible for advanced technology research, architectural development, design and strategic engineering of our products.
The Cloud and IT R&D and its AI and Big Data group in MRC are looking for an Intern to work on project aimed at using scalable pattern matching method to reason about urban traffic, detecting complex events. The position is unique in the European hi-tech ecosystem as it offers the opportunity for performing cutting-edge research, designing and developing continuous pattern matching methods for traffic analytics in an international corporate setup, as part of an agile and multicultural team of experts in different disciplines and in cooperation with top European academic partners.
The ideal candidate should have a strong interest in optimizing the full stack of computation of analytics over data generated by a highly parallelized distributed system. This includes optimizing data transmission, data structure, incremental and approximated computations, data exchange strategies. The goal is have richest, fastest and more unobtrusive analytics in PDES.
- Research, design and develop novel methods, architectures and algorithms to handle efficiently data analytics, exchange and communication among components of agent-based large scale parallel discrete event simulation in a distributed setup.
- Modify the internals of advanced PDES prototype and validate through extensive experiments the impact of the proposed methods and algorithms on execution of controllable simulations.
- Process and analyze large live stream of data generated by executed simulations.
- Patent and publish innovations in the field of efficient large scale traffic simulations analytics.
- MSc. computer science, electrical engineering or other domain-related discipline.
- Hands-on experience in working with traffic simulation frameworks or any agent-based parallel discrete event simulation (PDES) frameworks.
- Hands-on experience in working with large scale analytics on distributed system.
- Good skills in C++, and possibly also in Python, Java, and OO concepts.
- Experience in HPC and Parallel Discrete Event Simulation.
- Experience in data serialization, transmission, summarization, approximation, etc.
- Experience with data science on big data frameworks (e.g. Spark, Flink, etc.) is a plus.
- Research experience with some publication record in (any of) in the area of interest is a plus.
What you can expect
- Meaningful work: Our products and solutions connect people in over 170 countries, serving more than one third of the world’s population.
- Enormous investments in research, development and innovation: Huawei invests over 10% of its revenues in research and development, which enhances our competitiveness while driving industry and technology.
- Team spirit: At Huawei, we are proud of a strong social integration. Doors are open, and people collaborate with each other in a constructive and solution oriented manner.
- International work environment: Our business language is English and our team comprises unique experts from around 50 different countries.
- Robust growth across all business segments, thanks to balanced global presence and strategic focus.
If you are enthusiastic about tackling real-world problems which require engineering and theoretical approaches to be solved, and you love to work with a dynamic group of people driven by challenges, come and join us