Computer Vision Lead (Tracking, Sensor Fusion)
Palo Alto CA, Pittsburgh PA
At Argo AI, we are working to transform the world of transportation by bringing fully autonomous self-driving cars safely into widespread use. We already have some of the world’s most experienced leaders in the field, with expertise ranging from complex robotics algorithms to production software development to sophisticated hardware design and production. We are looking for highly motivated, technically deep engineers and applied scientists to join our team and help us realize this vision.
Perception (tracking, detection) is a core technical problem for L4 self-driving vehicles and a key part of our autonomy stack. Self-driving cars need to track actors around the vehicle to make the correct decisions. The implementation must meet rigorous real time constraints and report stable tracks for the car to accurately identify the 3D state of the world. Ultimately, we must not only solve the algorithm challenges but produce safety-quality high performance software. So this position is as much a software challenge as it is a core algorithm challenge.
We are looking for hands on candidates who can set the vision for, grow and manage strong technical teams with a mixture of vision, probabilistic filtering and lidar algorithm experience and strong software experience. We are looking for a team lead who will be deep in code and is technically strong in software and (ideally) strong in tracking and detection algorithms -- segmentation, clustering, data association, multi-extended object tracking and filtering, MHT or other registration algorithms. Candidates need not have worked on self-driving or robotics applications. Candidates with extremely strong skills in some areas but weaker in others will be considered with a bias towards strong software engineering skills. The ideal candidate skill set includes:
- Strong software engineering skills are required but we are language agnostic. A willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge and deep expertise in C++ and/or python is required.
- Strong leadership skills suitable for recruiting, leading and managing a team of engineers to solve a challenging problem and build a critical component of a real-time system.
- Strong theoretical and applied knowledge of relevant subsets of tracking-relevant algorithms.
- Strong desire for candidates with hands on experience that have deployed real products or platforms into the real world and intimately understand the challenges of working with complex systems.
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired.
As the lead for the perception team, you’ll be responsible for a critical piece of the system:
- The component of the self driving vehicle keeping track in space and time of objects around the car.
- Leading the team to advance the algorithmic performance through pragmatic and rigorous A vs B evaluations using a mix of state of the art or “classical” techniques
- Ensure that the algorithms are integrated within our onboard infrastructure and hardware, are robustly implemented and run in real time
- Coordinate with data collection to select and label relevant data to improve our tracking algorithms.
- Manage 2 to 3 teams of ~5 engineers and researchers on each team.
SKILLS, EXPERTISE, EDUCATION AND PRIOR EXPERIENCE:
Required Skills, Expertise, Education & Experience:
- Experienced software engineer working on problems with advanced algorithms or researcher with a track record of real world applications involving solid software engineering.
- Managed or tech lead small teams.
- Real-time applications
- Advanced probabilistic, machine learning or similar algorithms
Preferred or Desired Skills, Expertise, Education & Experience:
- This is a role that involves building real time software, but also dealing with some technically and mathematically deep algorithms. While they don’t need to be the world’s expert on tracking, the candidate does need to be able to get up to speed quickly on the algorithm space and mathematical underpinnings and be able to hire candidates that are strong in probabilistic state estimation and registration as well as bring strong software engineering practice to bear.
- Some subset of: Tracking, computer vision, SLAM, lidar, robotics, state estimation, machine learning, image or lidar registration.
- Needs to be strongly familiar with probabilistic algorithms.
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others in small project teams, but can also be self-directed in independently pursuing broadly-scoped technical goals.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength.
- Full, high quality health/dental/vision insurance.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Paid company holidays and extensive vacation.