New Grad, Deep Learning Optimization Engineer
San Francisco, CA
We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
The AV software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to a fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
Cruise is looking for SML optimization engineers to help us invest in tools to optimize deep learning models for efficient inference. These optimizations are designed to reduce latency, improve throughput, reduce memory footprint without sacrificing model accuracy. Such techniques may include (but is not limited to) model quantization, model compression and graph manipulation.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements while working with AV hardware to understand optimization opportunities that are specific to the target hardware platform and its constraints. If you are interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning optimization problems in the industry, then chat with us!What you’ll be doing:
- Contribute to the team’s technical vision and roadmap for Deep Learning model optimizations
- Research, prototype and survey different model optimization techniques (e.g., compression, quantization) and algorithms that are the current state-of-art.
- Develop proof-of-concepts of customized optimizations that demonstrate the benefit of your optimizations on real-world models using real-world datasets.
- Seamlessly incorporate model optimization into existing model training and post-training phases of the Cruise AI workflow
- Drive adoption of new technology by collaborating with other teams within Cruise AI (e.g., perception and ML infrastructure).
- Build and deploy production software at the highest levels of quality and performance
- Collaborate with cross functional agile teams of AV engineers
- Completing or recently completed MS or PhD in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent
- Expertise with DL framework like Tensorflow, PyTorch etc.
- Strong programming skills in Python with an emphasis on data structures and algorithms.
- Expertise with software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Numerical optimization
- Deep learning model optimization techniques like quantization, neural architecture search (NAS), pruning, hyperparameter tuning
- Algorithmic complexity, deep learning performance analysis and profiling, distributed computing, AI accelerators, GPU’s
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.