Senior Software Architect, Big Data
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more!
About the Team
Our Catalog Media team consists of 40+ engineers spanning across different technical functions, who are responsible for designing, developing and operating highly available, large scale distributed systems. We use our digital media systems as a competitive advantage within the home goods space, allowing our customers to not only have accurate pictures, but also videos, 3D models, and documents ensuring they are able to pick the right item for the home that they love!
About the Role
As a Senior Architect on our Catalog Media team, you’ll be responsible for leading the strategic technical road map regarding our overall systems and data architecture to ensure high availability and accurate data for all business users across Wayfair. You will be a thought leader across the Catalog Engineering team regarding our overall systems and data architecture needs across our digital media solutions. You’re passionate about software elegance, and enjoy coaching engineers by doing code reviews to raise the bar for efficiency and programming best practices.
What You’ll Do:
- Take ownership of data re-architecture across Wayfair’s Catalog Media products, technologies and data pipelines
- Act as a technical leader by driving the de-coupling of data in our existing microservices as we design and implement our new microservices while we migrate from a monolith to SOA
- Define non-functional requirements considering performance, availability, scalability and efficiency in support of additional brands and systems
- Act as a technical lead for cross-functional multi-team projects, breaking down work, organizing, delegating and leading implementation
- Become a key partner with our Business Intelligence organization to help drive visibility across our major products
- Drive department-wide best practices - writing RFCs, creating runbooks, driving process improvements (e.g. to CI/CD, deployments, code reviews, incident resolution, etc...)
- Drive technical decisions synthesizing a solution within the team and provide guidance to other engineers
What You’ll Need:
- 8+ years of software/data engineering experience with 3+ years of experience as a technical lead.
- Experience coding using Python, Java, PHP or any other object oriented programming language and doing code reviews
- Deep architectural knowledge of streaming/caching technologies such as Kafka, Kinesis, PubSub, Aerospike, or Solr
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes in an a production environment
- Experience with monitoring and metrics tooling such as Datadog, New Relic or ELK stack.
- Experience developing microservices in highly available, large-scale distributed systems, while making software projects scalable in the long run using technologies such as queues, workers, concurrency, etc...
- Experience architecting large scale data structures in a cloud environment, preferably within Google Cloud Platform
- Data modeling experience RDBM system and unpacking complex dependencies
- You have a Bachelor’s in computer science, software engineering or similar (or equivalent non-traditional training)
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.