Staff Software Engineer - Artificial Intelligence
Remote - US
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Staff Software Engineer who wants to design, develop, deploy and operate services at scale to power Twilio’s AI/ML products. You are eager to learn from the team as well as inspire your teammates with your knowledge and skills. You think about how data shapes software as much as how your code does. Thinking of scale comes naturally to you. You have a keen sense of how data streams should be managed and how data should be organized. You have experience working with key-value, document and relational data stores. You have experience building and operating large distributed systems with high reliability and scalability.
Twilio is looking for a Staff Software Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and they also have:
- 8+ years in industry as a software engineer working on high scale, mission-critical systems
- Experience in Java or C++ in a production environment
- Implemented and operated solutions on AWS (or equivalent cloud platform)
- Comfortable with SQL and noSQL databases
- Experience with Queueing processes and technologies such as SQS, Kafka.
- Focused on E2E testing and high reliability
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 2+ years of ElasticSearch experience in production, in medium to large clusters.
- Proficiency with MySQL, Cassandra, DynamoDB
- Experience setting up CI/CD to automate delivery process
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Communicate effectively and distill complex thoughts and concepts to technical and non-technical audiences including but not limited to group and team leadership, product managers and engineering peers. Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships. Be an expert to mentor, teach and lead while championing engineering best practices.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
We are a team that believes in remote working and remote-friendly practices, and we are distributed across three continents. This position can be located anywhere in the US, either remote or (post-COVID) in one of Twilio's offices . What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.