Software Engineer - Ads Machine Learning
Remote - Anywhere
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a remote-first company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds—from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences—so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Quora's mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge. To fully achieve this, we need to make sure that the knowledge on Quora will improve and last forever. Revenue from our monetization efforts plays a critical role in empowering us to do that.
About the Team:
Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. As a remote first company, our engineers have a high degree of flexibility and autonomy. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
About the Role:
Since we first launched our advertising platform, we've already grown to support thousands of advertisers who are reaching over 300+ million monthly unique visitors on Quora. Our journey is just beginning as we continue to build new products from the ground up and tackle exciting challenges at scale. Today, we're working on a broad range of areas to grow our ads product to drive more value to our users and advertisers.
We are looking for an experienced Machine Learning engineer to join our Ads Machine Learning team responsible for Ads ranking, targeting and serving. As an engineer on the team, you will have a unique opportunity to have high impact by advancing these ML models and systems, as well as uncovering new opportunities to apply machine learning to the Quora Ads product.
- Improve our existing machine learning systems using your core coding skills and ML knowledge
- Take end to end ownership of machine learning systems - from data pipelines, feature engineering, candidate extraction, model training, as well as integration into our production systems
- Use state-of-the-art ML modeling techniques to predict user interaction with Ads, and have direct impact on company’s top line metrics
- Design features and build large scale recommendation systems to improve Ad targeting and engagement
- Identify new opportunities to apply machine learning to different parts of the Ads product to drive value for our users and advertisers
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's coordination hours (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 3+ years of professional software development experience in machine learning
- Good understanding of mathematical foundations of machine learning algorithms
- Previous experience building large scale ranking/recommendation systems
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- 2+ years of experience writing Python or C++ code
- Experience with leading large-scale multi-engineer projects
- Flexible and positive team player with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals
- Previous experience working in Adtech
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.