Senior Data Engineer, China
San Francisco, United States
About Airbnb China
As an independent business unit, China is one of the major engines behind Airbnb's global growth. The company has increased its investment in China and experienced rapid growth since officially entering the market at the end of 2015. Airbnb continues to focus on product localization and innovation to better serve local users and enhance the user experience, nurture a trusting local community, and engage Chinese Millennial travelers with inspiring brand moments. As one of the leaders in the home sharing industry, Airbnb works with partners across many fields to actively promote the sustainable development of this emerging industry and achieve win-win results for everyone. Airbnb will continue to build an efficient local team, bringing the end-to-end, authentic travel experience to Chinese travelers, and creating a world where anyone can belong anywhere.
Why Data @ Airbnb?
Quality data is fundamental to Airbnb’s success. As a rapidly growing pre-IPO company, we are preparing for a future of tremendous growth and transformation. We are rebuilding our Data Engineering practice to enable the company’s success by building a solid data foundation. We are seeking stunning Senior Data Engineers to help us define and realize our vision for trustworthy data across the company. This is a unique opportunity to join Data Engineering for a strong, but high potential, company early in its lifecycle.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, you belong at Airbnb.
What is Data Engineering at Airbnb China?
We need to ensure every area of the business has trustworthy data to fuel insight and innovation. Understanding the business need, securing the right data sources, designing usable data models, and building robust & dependable data pipelines are essential skills to meet this goal.
This is critical for a fast growing business like Airbnb China. We need to be fast to respond to the fierce competition in the China market but also need to be cautious on every decision we make according to the data. Data Engineers in Airbnb China need to better leverage the resources we have as an international company: being fast in building trustworthy data but also collaborating well with the data engineers in other business units to prevent reinventing the wheel. You will have the chance to learn the dynamics of the fast growing China market and also have tied relationships with other data engineers to redefine what it means to do Data Engineering in Airbnb.
- Develop and automate large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Airbnb business growth and improve the product experience.
- Build scalable Spark data pipelines leveraging Airflow scheduler/executor framework
- Design our data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Understand and influence logging to support our data flow, architecting logging best practices where needed
- Contribute to shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company
- Improve data quality by using & improving internal tools to automatically detect issues
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to analyze large data sets to identify gaps and inconsistencies, provide data insights, and advance effective product solutions
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Bilingual in Mandarin and English
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…