Data Science Manager
New York, NY
Associated PressNo organization in the world does more to advance the power of facts.
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a Data Science Manager based in New York, NY. The Data Science Manager will help manage data analysis, data science and data engineering solutions supporting business intelligence, news search, content enrichment and metadata services.
We are a small focused team within Metadata Technology working closely with various departments and functions across the organization to design and build solutions with data, analytics and machine learning methods.
If you were working with us, here are some tasks you may have undertaken in the past month:
- Develop a prototype for matching and identifying component assets within video clips, using tools like AWS Step Functions and SageMaker
- Evaluate vendor offerings for visual tagging for accuracy and value in news photography; map vendor tags and train custom models for AP concepts to apply keywords to photos
- Combine and clean Google Analytics and other data sets to create meaningful metrics to support search and resource allocations
- Partner with the search team to define and test NLP and machine learning capabilities to improve the customer search experience
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand their data inputs and to support their analysis needs
- Analyze news metadata to find and propose fixes to support content search and discovery
We are seeking a candidate who:
- approaches problems with curiosity and an eagerness to find creative solutions and make recommendations with an eye to costs and benefits
- is happy digging deep into messy data problems, which may include data wrangling and coordinating across the organization, to propose a range of solutions and implement the best candidate
- proactively explores emerging technologies and is conversant with the latest analytics, data science, NLP and machine learning technologies
- is comfortable working with data models and data science platforms and processes, not necessarily building models from scratch
- helps grow the culture of data-driven decision making and supports colleagues as they develop data literacy skills
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Hands-on experience using data analysis and data science tools and methods, such as NLP techniques, AWS SageMaker, AWS Rekognition, Google Vision, AutoML, R, PowerBI
- Familiarity with analytics and data science best practices
- Familiarity with AWS services such as Step Functions, Athena, S3, EC2
- Confidence implementing PoCs
- Adept at Python
- Familiarity with RDF and graph stores
- Comfort working with standard data formats and schema (xml, json, etc)
- Comfort working with standard query languages and transform protocols such as xslt, SPARQL, xquery
Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required. Authorization to work in the United States for any employer is mandatory.
Application deadline is 11:59pm EST on October 2, 2020
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.