Principal Manager (Director), Computer Vision
Pittsburgh, PA and Palo Alto, CA
Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
This team solves problems that involve geometric computer vision: processing sensor data from Lidar or imagery and geometrically reasoning about that data. That data gets used in localization to estimate pose relative to the map or, over time, calibration to produce high quality calibrations of the sensors and vehicle, and in mapping to geometrically align the world.
What you’ll do:
- Be able to manage multiple managers on teams including, Localization, Calibration, Special Projects and Lidar Processing.
- Work on learning-based approaches to improve our visual localization and mapping system.
- Set the vision for, grow and lead a variety of strong technical teams with a mix of vision and Lidar algorithm experience and strong software experience.
- Work on geometric and learning-based approaches to improve our visual localization and mapping system
- Be deep in code with strength in software and, ideally, localization algorithms (GCV, SFM, SLAM, or other registration algorithms).
- Collaborate with engineers across a variety of teams to brainstorm and accelerate development of perception capabilities.
- Design, implement and validate algorithms to support robust and scalable mapping pipelines for Argo’s self-driving cars. In addition, you will also design and implement necessary metrics and tools
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- A hands on candidate who can lead up to 10 people to solve these challenges
- Strong fundamentals in geometric computer vision algorithms: pose estimation, numerical optimization, feature extraction, imagery and Lidar
- Familiarity with IMUs and probabilistic state estimation methods
- Ability to be deep into code and know how to drive a team to produce a high quality, runtime and a memory efficient, robust software product that can operate robustly under a range of real world conditions
- Strong software, and software engineering skills are required but we are language agnostic. A willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge and deep expertise in C++ and/or python is required
- Strong leadership skills suitable for recruiting, leading and managing small sets of teams of teams of engineers to solve a challenging problem and build a critical component of a real-time system
- Strong theoretical and applied knowledge of relevant subsets of localization-relevant algorithms. These may include: SFM, pose estimation, model fitting, SLAM, complex state estimation
- Strong desire for candidates with hands on experience that have deployed real products or platforms into the real world and intimately understand the challenges of working with complex systems
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.