Senior Data Engineer
San Francisco, California, United States
Oura is an award-winning and fast-growing startup that helps people track all stages of sleep, activity, and physiologic functioning using the Oura Ring and connected app. We have a unique and high-quality set of biosignals that can be leveraged to help hundreds of thousands of people improve their sleep, monitor sickness, understand their bodies, and transform their health. We’re on a mission to empower every person to own their inner potential, and we’re seeking candidates who want to make an impact on our journey.
As an experienced data engineer with Oura, you will lead the architecture of complex technical solutions that allow us to handle sensitive, health-relevant data from the ring, the app, and external research sources in a secure fashion. You will develop strategies to manage large-scale signal data, and provide the tools and environments that enable algorithm development at scale. You’ll work closely with our Data Scientists, Engineers, and Dev Ops specialists as a technical leader and resource. You will help investigate new technologies and select the right tool for the job, with an eye toward robust, scalable, and flexible architectures that facilitate teamwork and ensure high quality data.
What You’ll Do with Us
- Lead the organization of the data to enable rapid access, security, and quality control needed to support algorithm development
- Architect strategies to manage data-heavy processes and optimize their throughput and latency throughout our platform.
- Explore and prototype the latest technologies to identify the best solutions
- Create data processing pipelines to automate processes, including quality assurance checks, entity resolution, exporting and importing of novel sources of data
- Scale our architecture and technology to match the growing needs of our customers and algorithm development team.
- Act as an expert technical resource in cross-functional interactions with Data Scientists, Researchers, and the Cloud Team
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- 5+ years of extensive experience running, monitoring and debugging production systems at scale on AWS and utilizing a range of its services
- Expert knowledge of Python. Other languages, like Java and Scala, are a plus
- Good architectural understanding of event driven architectures, workflows, and database systems to help us scale along with our growing user base.
- Experience developing and maintaining applications running on Docker
- A solid understanding of security and an understanding of how to architect systems to handle sensitive health-related information
- Enjoy writing maintainable and well-tested code
- Have solid experience of standard software development tools and practices: version control (git), issue tracking, unit testing and agile development processes
- Have a pragmatic can-do attitude and delivery-focused mindset: you can handle tradeoffs between short-term goals and long-term tech debt
- Are happy both executing on your expertise as well as learning new skills
- Enjoys recruiting, mentoring, and motivating engineers
Together, we will define Oura as a company where you can:
- Be productive and do your best work
- Be part of a world-class engineering team following and helping define best practices
- Be happy and have great work-life balance - we work efficiently, remove the fluff and pointless meetings, so that work continues to inspire and motivate you
- Grow on your chosen career path, be it technical, people, managerial or leadership skills, or any mix of those
At Oura, we care about you and your wellbeing. Everyone here at Oura has a ring of their own and are continually looking to improve their health and add to our benefits!
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Wellness benefits
- Flexible working hours + work-life balance
- An Oura ring of your own
- Beautiful workspace in San Francisco by Pier 31
- 20 days of PTO
- Amazing culture of collaborative and passionate coworkers