Senior Big Data Engineer, Userdata
New York, NY (Remote OK)
Beeswax’s mission is to build great advertising software. Our product is an easy to use, massive scale and high availability advertising platform founded by industry veterans who worked together at Google. We offer our customers the most extensible and transparent advertising system in the world and process millions of transactions per second.
Beeswax is looking for a Senior Big Data Software Engineer to join our Userdata team. The team's mission is build and operate a large scale data platform that can ingest terabytes of data and serve millions of queries with single millisecond tail latency.
The Userdata Team is a unique cross-discipline team, which cuts across backend engineering and data engineering. The team cares deeply about data architecture, including pipelines, data lineages and analytics. This team develops and operates large scale backend systems to support its own data architecture (processes more than 10TB/day), and provides other teams with high-throughput low-latency data service APIs (serves more than 1MM query/sec).
- Work with senior leadership to develop technology vision and roadmap for the team.
- Work with the Chief Product Officer to build innovative data products.
- Design and optimize ETL pipelines for data ingestion and consumption.
- Lead the design and implementation of the team’s data architecture.
- Analyze data sets for designing scalable and cost-effective solutions.
- implement data governance processes and establish best practices for data engineering.
- Lead other engineers in building data assets including reusable components, tools, processes and data stores.
- Mentor more junior engineers on technical topics and soft skills.
- Report to the Director of Engineering.
- Passion for developing and improving customer-facing products.
- High standards for what is considered clean code and architecture.
- 5+ years of experience developing data-driven applications using a modern programming language such as Python, Java, C#, Scala, C++ in a professional manner.
- 3+ years using big data languages and services such as Hive, Presto, or Spark.
- Strong understanding in database fundamentals and familiar with architectures of at least one common database technologies such as MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, MongoDB etc.
- Significant hands-on experience with writing SQL.
- Significant experience in working with messaging queue or job scheduling technologies.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills including the ability to understand requirements and communicate data insights to both a highly technical and commercially focused audience.
SUCCESSFUL ENGINEERS AT BEESWAX VALUE:
- An ethic of service and a belief in putting the customer first.
- A powerful sense of pragmatism to figure out what needs to be done right versus right now.
- A curiosity about technology and a desire to use it to solve problems in all sorts of domains.
- An openness to feedback and more than just the spelling skills to know that there’s no I in Team.
- An appreciation of repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity.
MORE ABOUT US:
- Beeswax was founded in 2014 and since then we’ve raised $28M in funding from leading VCs including RRE and Foundry Group and have grown rapidly.
- We believe in and invest in personal growth and we’ve got the results to back it up: we’ve been recognized as one of America’s Fastest Growing Companies by Inc. 5000, we’ve won several Best Places to Work awards, and our team loves the culture.
- We value diversity and incorporate a wide range of professional experiences on our product & engineering teams.