Entry Level Data Engineer: 2021 (Watson Advertising & Weather)
Brookhaven, Georgia, US
Posted 7 months ago
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Weather Company, an IBM Business is seeking a Data Analytics Software Engineer to utilize skills in distributed analytical processing with a focus on Geospatial and temporal analysis of large bodies of data. Work with data scientists, business stakeholders, and team members to design, build, and operational strategic analytic objectives. Work will include coding analytical processes of very large scale data processing streams and machine learning pipelines feeding a broad data platform of weather consumers.
● Participate in the design and implementation of sophisticated software systems using
functional programming techniques implemented in the Scala language
● Participate in software design and code reviews. Reviews include other Software
Engineers and are held to ensure a high level of software quality and to share
knowledge with team members.
● Participate in, and adhere to, professional software engineering practices using such
tools and methodologies as Agile Software Development, Test Driven Development,
Continuous Integration, Source Code Management (git), Jira, and Stash
● Maintain a high level of proficiency with Computer Science/Software Engineering
knowledge and contribute to the technical skills growth of other team members
● Keep abreast of prevailing techniques and tooling, in Geospatial and Temporal data
● Work well independently and as part of a team
● Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
● Knowledge of functional programing languages and techniques
● Knowledge of object-oriented programming languages and techniques
● Solid understanding of concurrency and concurrent programming techniques
● Solid understanding of distributed computing techniques
● Knowledge and understanding of operating with data in large scale
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
● Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science
● Exposure to functional programming using Scala, Clojure, F#, ML, Lisp, Ocaml, or
● Exposure to object oriented development using Java, C++, C#, Ruby, or similar
● Experience with big data technologies such as Cassandra, Spark, Hadoop, etc., strongly desired
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
● Desire to learn new technologies and languages a requirement
● Able to convey information concisely and clearly
● Able to work closely and effectively with peer developers and work on several active projects simultaneously
● Knowledge of Geospatial and temporal data analysis is a plus
● Knowledge of statistical analysis and machine learning is a plus
About Business Unit
The Weather Company, an IBM Business is the world’s largest private weather enterprise, helping people make information decisions and take action in the face of weather. The company offers the most accurate, personalized and actionable weather data and insights to millions of consumers and thousands of businesses via Weather’s APIs and digital products from the web and mobile platforms. The products include a top weather app on all of the major mobile platforms globally; a top-20 U.S. website and the seventh most data rich site in the world; one of the world’s largest IoT data platforms; and industry-leasing business solutions.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: Big Data Cassandra Consulting Data Analytics Engineering Hadoop Java Machine Learning ML Ruby Scala Spark
Job region(s): North America
Job stats: 28 5 0