Entry Level Data Analyst: 2021 (Watson Advertising & Weather)
Brookhaven, Georgia, US
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Weather Company(TWC), an IBM Business is seeking a Data Analyst to join the Engineering Operations and Strategy team within the Engineering Organization. This team is responsible for gathering, maintaining, tracking, and reporting on data that is used to provide business insights to being able to operate the Engineering Organization. Particularly, this data primarily revolves around cloud infrastructure costs and trends, in addition to other financial data that relates to operating the organization.
The Data Analyst will support the activities and day-to-day operations of the Engineering department by providing insights that will inform the decision making of the leadership team through the collation, analysis, and reporting of relevant data.
As a member of the Engineering Operations and Strategy team, the Operations Data Analyst will report directly to the Head of Engineering Operations and Strategy working and partnering with various functional teams within the Engineering Organization to provide insights and offer business guidance around cloud infrastructure spend, while also working to better understand their individual work-streams as it relates to the overall TWC business.
As a Data Analyst you will develop, maintain and interrogate SQL queries in a variety of data stores, generate daily, monthly, and quarterly comparison/trending reports, create relevant KPIs and Metrics for performance within the operations team. You will provide business insights based upon data to improve engineering operations and processes. You will use your knowledge of BI/data visualization tools to present data to a wide range of stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be eager to be a part of this engineering organization working with and learning new technology. The candidate will want to deepen their knowledge of the cloud while bringing their strong analytical skills to identify meaningful insights around the data. This candidate will have an educational background and perhaps some direct experience that directly supports that of a data analyst role. The selected candidate will need to have excellent analytical, presentation, technical, and communication skills, coupled with the ability to interpret and communicate the data without bias; strictly adhering to the facts presented via the data. The ideal candidate will be able to work between a varied data set, going in depth with both technical data as well as financial data. This candidate should demonstrate passion about data, analysis, and technology.
The Operational Data Analyst responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
● Performs daily analysis across key datasets, noting anomalies.
● Supports the production of quality reports by developing reporting processes and identifying the areas where value can be added. Gathering reporting requirements to support the business on a day to day basis, to allow the business to make informed decisions.
● Creates reports and processes all data extracts and imports; ensuring accuracy and attention to detail at all times.
● Identify and implement key operational, financial and historical measurements to use in operational day to day management; looking at trending data.
● Performs complex analyses.
● Structures large data sets to find usable information.
● Creates presentations based on recommendations and findings.
● Provides proactive and reactive analysis and interpretation from reporting to support business strategy and planning; Manages and improves existing reporting mechanisms.
● Develops methodology and processes for prioritization and scheduling of projects.
● Creates informative written and visual reports or dashboards
● Analyzes problems and determines root causes.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
● Degree in computer science, data analytics, information systems, business administration, economics, management, finance or related field
● Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
● Strong SQL skills
● Experience with MS Excel, Google Sheets, or other data gathering tool
● Familiarity with or willingness to learn IBM Cognos, Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, or other BI/Data Viz tool
● Keen attention to details
● Process oriented with great documentation skills
● Excellent technical writing and oral communication skills
● Ability to set and meet tight deadlines
● Strong interpersonal skills
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
● Basic understanding of Cloud technologies (AWS, IBM Cloud, etc.)
● Familiarity with Jupyter Notebooks
● Basic understanding of statistical programming in a language such as R, Python, or SAS, SPSS, MATLAB
● Familiarity with budgets and other such financial data
● Developing software and data models
About Business Unit
The Weather Company, an IBM Business is the world’s largest private weather enterprise, helping people make information decisions and take action in the face of weather. The company offers the most accurate, personalized and actionable weather data and insights to millions of consumers and thousands of businesses via Weather’s APIs and digital products from the web and mobile platforms. The products include a top weather app on all of the major mobile platforms globally; a top-20 U.S. website and the seventh most data rich site in the world; one of the world’s largest IoT data platforms; and industry-leasing business solutions.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: AWS Consulting Data Analytics Economics Engineering Finance Matlab Power BI Python R SQL Tableau