Data Engineering Manager
We're looking for an experienced Data Engineering Manager to join the data team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first rodeo. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team and leading them in an equitable way. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few employees before.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication.
- You have experience managing technical data teams. You have kept things focused on execution, data correctness, and data timeliness on top of a constantly evolving data stack.
- You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar machine learning and data governance concepts into approachable ones for teammates with less experience working with data.
- You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good and are able to default to action by shipping MVP and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
- You have experience in SQL: You’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You've designed tables with an eye towards ease of use and high performance. You've documented schemas and created data dictionaries.
- You have experience with at least one of the following:
- Machine learning. You’ve built systems that collected data from user behavior and other data collected about them. You have then leveraged this data though ML and statistics to categorize users, recommend choices to or score them on their propensity to perform subsequent actions.
- Data Governance. You have provided stewardship of data ownership, schema, defined standards for data modeling, storage, and consumption and created processes and tools that enforce those standards.
- Technical Product Management. You can speak to why the systems you’re building exist and foster a collaborative vision between our users and the team.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a startup, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you'll get a taste of:
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Work closely with Data Engineering, Decision Science and product teams to create teams that deliver technical solutions and tools to our internal customers.
- Help set technical roadmaps that will help Data Products and Data Governance and achieve their goals.
- Keep Data Operations management informed on your team’s progress in one-on-ones, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout all of engineering, data and otherwise, moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, smoothing edges -- sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new hires at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- Ensure the members of Data Ops are pulling in the same direction while also making sure we’re leveraging their diverse skillset
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
About Data at Zapier
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way to employees and systems that need it.
Within the data operations team, we're made up of several sub-teams: Data Engineering focusing on data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling; Data Products focusing on building statistical and ML tools and models; and Data Governance focusing on increasing the value of the data through stewardship. We work closely with our partner org, Decision Science who in turn focus on exposing the data in useful and self-service form and extract insights and recommend strategies based on their findings.
Our stack is best summed up by: AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, and NiFi. But we're pragmatic -- for example, we have some Java for ingesting data from Kafka, and we use Clojure for inferring schema and other information about data sets.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 350+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2+ annual company retreats to awesome places (these are on hold right now until it's safe for all of us to travel)
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-, Canada- and UK-based employees. Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.