Manager, Data Science - Catalog
San Francisco, CA
Instacart maintains the largest digital catalog of grocery data ever. By working with over 300 retail and CPG partners, the team maintains accurate pricing, availability and factual information for millions of products on shelves across the U.S and Canada.
As a Data Science Manager for Catalog, you’ll hire and lead a team of data scientists responsible for the quality of our catalog data, and the insights we generate from it. Your team will measure the quality of the catalog data we have, identify opportunities for improvement, and prioritize those based on impact to key business metrics. You will be a trusted partner to Directors of Product and Engineering. We’re looking for an experienced leader who can hit the ground running and influence decision-making across the entire organization.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Build and lead a high-performing team of data scientists
- You will be responsible for the health of your teams' data - its completeness and its quality
- You and your team will have a high impact on your stakeholder teams, product and operations, and will hold yourselves accountable to measurable improvements in business outcomes
- You and your team will design rigorous experiments and interpret results to draw detailed and actionable conclusions
- You and your team will develop statistical models to extract trends, measure results, and predict future performance of our product
- You and your team will enable objective decision making across the company by democratizing data through dashboards and other analytical tools
- You and your team will use expertise in causal inference, machine learning, complex systems modeling, behavioral decision theory etc. to shape the future of Instacart
- You and your team will present findings in a compelling way to influence Instacart’s leadership
- 5+ years experience working in a quantitative role at a product company or a research organization
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists is a plus
- Experience leading teams working on online catalogs, warehousing or inventory related products for an e-commerce company is a plus.
- Experience with gathering, and standardizing data needed for e-commerce catalog development through both algorithmic means and scaled semi-manual techniques such as crowdsourcing, image processing, and optical character recognition (OCR) is a plus.
- Ability to run rigorous experiments and come up with scientifically sound recommendations
- Ability to write complex, efficient, and eloquent SQL queries to extract data
- A desire to build and improve consumer software products
- Ability to translate business needs into analytical frameworks
- Eagerness to learn, flexibility to pivot when needed, savviness to navigate and thrive in a dynamic environment, and a growth mindset needed to build a successful team and company