Senior Data Scientist, Financial Crime
MonzoJoin 6+ million people with a Monzo bank account. Free current accounts, joint accounts and business banking for all! We make money work for everyone
We're excited to be looking for a Senior Data Scientist in Financial Crime to help build the bank of the future. You'll have the opportunity to work as a part of the Financial Crime Data Science team and play a critical role in Monzo’s mission to make money work for everyone.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll be working in an ever changing environment where we are building and iterating on our financial crime defence capabilities to ensure we keep Monzo and our customers safe. As a financial crime team we have a large impact on Monzo’s bottom line as fraud and scams are usually some of the largest cost line items in a bank's P&L. In addition, we have a great influence on the overall customer experience and it’s our duty to keep them safe. Most of the work we do results in directly measurable customer or company benefit which is incredibly satisfying.
Our Data Scientists don’t have a permanent assignment to a problem space and might rotate into different financial crime areas after some time. The major problem spaces that we are working in are: fraud prevention, transaction monitoring for different types of suspicious activity, customer risk assessment and operational tooling to name the biggest ones. At the moment we are about 21 people in financial crime data, including Analytics Engineers, Data Analysts, Machine Learning Engineers and Data Scientists.
As part of your job you’ll work closely with product managers, engineers, designers and researchers in an agile product environment. You’ll champion the use of data, bring ideas to life through rigorous experimentation and A/B testing. You’ll help us get the most out of large volumes of data stored on a modern cloud native data platform and with spotting opportunities to make each area of financial crime work even better for our users and for Monzo.
Our culture is open and focused on collaboration between different functions and individuals. It is fast paced and innovative where we try to push the boundaries of the current financial industry best practices. We put a lot of emphasis on feedback (up, side and downwards) and personal growth and development.
As part of this role you'll:
- Develop and drive data solutions that improve our ability to fight financial crime and keep customers safe
- Conduct deep dives into various Fincrime systems for fraud detection, transaction monitoring and customer risk to identify key business opportunities
- Work closely with financial crime analysts, operations analysts, data scientists and engineers to understand the underlying business problem and propose an appropriate solution
- Translate regulatory reporting requirements into highly accurate data models and set the strategy for how we ensure the best possible data accuracy
- Build robust data models, reports and visualisations downstream of backend services (mostly in BigQuery SQL) that support internal management information as well as governance and regulatory reporting
- Investigate and effectively work with colleagues from other disciplines to address and improve data quality
You should apply if:
- Reducing financial crime and protecting customers with data driven strategies sounds fun to you
- You have multiple years of analytics experience, preferably in a fast moving tech company or consultancy
- You are comfortable exploring potentially ambiguous business problems and enjoy finding technical solutions to them
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically and proactively identifying opportunities
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (from business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning), and coding languages (SQL and Python). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same
Nice to haves:
- Experience from working with financial crime and regulated institutions
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
- This role can be based in our London office or remotely within the UK
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
- The application process consists of a 30 min phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 video interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our salary survey at salaries.ai-jobs.net
Other jobs like this
Senior Data ScientistAirflow Big Data Computer Science Data Analytics Data management Docker Engineering +9
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Startup environment Team events
Senior Data Scientist with GCPAgile DevOps Docker GCP Machine Learning Open Source R +1
Career development Conferences Flex hours Health care Team events
Senior Research ScientistAPIs Computer Science GCP Google Cloud Machine Learning Mathematics NLP +2
Career development Flex hours Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend +1
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Remote jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs