Engineering Manager, Applied Machine Learning
San Francisco, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering directors to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback.
Lyft’s ML organization is tasked with accelerating our business, building ML tools and solutions for all teams to drive more efficiency in execution. We are looking for a leader in the Machine Learning space with track record of having build and led teams to solve hard business problems using modern ML techniques.Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Work with your engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our passengers and drivers
- You have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions
- You are steadfastly focused on customers, whether they are drivers, passengers, or other Lyft employees
- You have experience thinking about business, and about complex economic / financial systems
- You have experience leading a team of engineers and guiding them through their career development
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively
- You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- You think ahead and build for the future.
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.