Machine Learning Engineer (New Grad)
Develop novel ML applications used by millions of language learners every day.
Our mission is to make language education free, fun and accessible for everyone in the world. With 300 million total users worldwide, Duolingo is the most popular way to learn a language online.
As an ML Engineer, you will apply your background in machine learning to develop state-of-the-art product features using classification, regression, and reinforcement learning for applications in personalization, natural language processing, anomaly detection, forecasting, and so on. In many cases, you’ll have to invent new technologies to tackle unique Duolingo data! You will work with a fun and diverse team to build intelligent software used by millions of people, around the world, every day.
What you’ll do...
- Apply AI/ML methods to massive data sets
- Prototype new models, evaluate with offline experiments, and then productionize solutions at scale to millions of daily users
- Work with a cross-functional team of award-winning designers, researchers, engineers, and others to build new product features
- A few past projects include:
- Novel bandit algorithm for mobile notifications (KDD paper)
- The Duolingo English Test (TACL paper)
- Shared task on translation & paraphrasing (ACL paper)
- Novel model of vocabulary forgetting (ACL paper)
- Course content prioritization tool (blog post)
- Multilingual language-proficiency alignment tool (blog post)
What we’re looking for…
- MS or PhD in machine learning, natural language processing, or related field
- Experience implementing ML systems in Python, Java, Scala, or C/C++ (i.e., not just R or MATLAB)
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong debugging and critical thinking skills
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have...
- 2+ years industry experience as a software engineer (e.g., commercial products or government/industry research projects)
- A portfolio of relevant publications or open-source projects
- A desire to keep up with the field by attending or publishing at relevant conferences (ICML, NeurIPS, ACL, EMNLP, KDD, AAAI, ICLR, CVPR, etc.)
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!