Data Scientist - Machine Learning: Transportation and Logistics
One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world. We are looking for Data Scientist specializing in Transportation and Logistics to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on developing a global-scale resilience prediction model against natural disasters, pandemic, and other perils. We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern. We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
- Build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters
- Develop models for the assessment of resilient infrastructure systems
- Build and improve existing machine learning models
- Work with and support domain experts and data scientists in different hazard products
- Demonstrate up-to-date machine learning skills and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources.
- Identify key problems in prediction models and propose innovative solutions.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Ph.D. (preferred) or Master’s degree in transportation engineering, operation research, machine learning or artificial intelligence, computer science or related field
- Strong background of traffic flow theory and operations, networks and supply chains and/or logistics systems
- Machine learning, deep learning, statistics, and quantitative analytics
- Advanced experience with Python (preferred), or R, C/C++, Java
- Deep understanding of MySQL, Postgres, relational databases, etc.
- Capability to formulate your own problems as the problem might not always be defined for you
Nice to Have
- Experience working on social issues or government projects
- Experience in research on emergency routing under disasters
- Experience in research on the impact of disasters onto network systems
- Experience in resilience infrastructure planning or logistics systems planning
- Experience in large-scale network simulations under uncertainties
- Strong publication record
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
Job tags: AI Deep Learning Engineering Finance Java Machine Learning MySQL Postgres Python R Research