US - Boston
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
What will you do?
- Build, maintain, and update Fitbit’s growing suite of ETL processes that power the reports and dashboards used by various groups, including product management, marketing, and engineering
- Lead Fitbit’s data integration efforts by liaising with our central platform team and implementing a logical, yet nimble, data model using data engineering best practices
- Work with data scientists and machine learning engineers to stand up critical infrastructure for our production predictive models
- Work with analysts and data scientists to understand infrastructure needs and develop new summary tables, surface new metrics, etc. accordingly
- Develop intelligent alerting mechanisms for detecting data anomalies and ensuring data quality
- Work with client- and server-side engineers to ingest new data and properly surface for regular consumption
Our ideal Senior Data Engineer will have expertise in most (but preferably all) of these skills:
- SQL and working knowledge of relational databases
- NoSQL data stores like MongoDB and Cassandra
- Various programming languages (Scala, Python, R, Pig, etc.)
- Various infrastructure technologies (AWS, Spark, Kafka, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with ETL best practices and data modeling
- Self-starter able to make an impact with little guidance
- Top notch written and verbal communication skills
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.