Data Architect (Senior Staff Software Developer, Data - Remote)
At Zensurance, we want to empower small businesses across Canada to thrive by offering an honest, simplified, and modern approach to insurance. We are boldly going where no insurance broker has gone before!
Due to the current growth, we are experiencing, we are looking for a Senior Staff Software Developer, Data. This role is an advanced level Subject Matter Expert role in the data team that will guide the Data Team’s technical strategy in accordance with the organizational culture of iterative, autonomous development and deployment. The Data Team is responsible for ensuring that the business has access to reliable and actionable data to inform product development and meet business objectives.
As an individual contributor reporting to the Team Lead, Engineering, you are expected to coach and mentor other developers and also be an advisor to the team lead and the Engineering Leadership team. In addition, you’ll be involved in recruiting, training and development to continuously enhance the team’s technical capabilities and delivery.
Success in this position means we have a well-defined and understood data catalogue, turnaround times for developing new insights are low, and users are making decisions without too much guidance or bugs being reported.
This is a remote role, and the team member can work from anywhere in Canada. #LI-Remote
- Design, document and implement solutions throughout the data stack, including warehousing, modelling, and business intelligence.
- Oversee data asset storage, cataloguing, discoverability, and meta-data management.
- Act as subject matter expert on how data flows between systems within the organization and the tradeoffs between providing a full BI solution vs enabling ad hoc data analysis.
- Help define and implement monitoring of metrics for measuring data availability, usage, and team efficacy.
- Improve the stability and performance of data infrastructure using operational data and an observability mindset.
- Work closely with the Information Security team at Zensurance to construct and oversee a data governance framework that adheres to the organization's security and privacy strategy.
- Drive and encourage conversations based on data strategy and engineering principles to create alignment across the team, department and wider organization.
- Help define and implement data OKRs and KPIs.
- Create implementation plans and iterative milestones for architectural decisions and technical initiatives (TRIM work). Work with the product team to make this part of the team roadmaps.
- Define and prioritize areas of technical debt, take into consideration outcomes of the incident management process, and address them with the Engineering Group.
- Foster a culture of iterative deployability with awareness of cycle time and failure rates.
- Use a systematic approach to debugging to diagnose issues within the data infrastructure.
- Implement observability solutions, and write tests to ensure application quality and stability.
- Ensure code meets defined acceptance criteria and consistently evangelize and educate team members about established best practices.
- Develop a system that enforces style, process and guidelines for developing a new data model.
- Consistently produce production-ready code that is easily testable, easily understandable, and accounts for edge cases and errors, using comments and other documentation strategies where appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree or college diploma in a recognized technical, vocational or academic program (preferably in Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ Years of experience in data modeling, data architecture, and data observability.
- 5+ Years of experience coaching and mentoring data professionals such as data analysts, data engineers, and data scientists.
- Extensive experience working with SQL, Python, and data warehouses.
- Extensive experience in data governance.
- Experience architecting and augmenting large software systems.
- Extensive experience with the Scrum framework and Agile methodologies.
- Familiarity with goal-setting frameworks such as OKRs.
- Experience with dbt, Snowflake, Segment, and Looker.
Nice to have
- Familiarity with DORA metrics.
- Experience using Salesforce CRM.
- Experience using Google Analytics, Google Ads.
Our fully remote engineering team fosters a learning culture that encourages professional development. Some of the highlights of the team environment include:
• Approachable, a supportive leadership team with extensive technical experience and ability.• Training and professional development budgets.• Knowledge sharing through power-ups.• Learning events and book clubs that help the team develop their skills and create a safe, supportive environment.• Twice-annual hackathons that provide opportunities to explore interests and practice new technical skills.• Opportunities to share your knowledge and experience and mentor others.
In addition, we provide amazing opportunities for career advancement. We provide well-defined and documented career progression paths to our engineering team members that provide clear expectations and requirements for advancement in our fast-growing environment.
As we scale our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on challenging projects using a modern tech stack and cutting-edge systems, including microservices and micro-frontends, with industry-leading tools such as NodeJS, React, TypeScript, Kafka, and more.
Perks we offer at Zensurance:
• Opportunity to work for Canada’s fastest-growing #insurtech startup • Flexible work environment/work from home arrangements available to everyone, including the equipment • One-time home office allowance to help with work-from-home costs • Comprehensive, flexible health, including mental health and dental plans to suit all lifestyles • Health/Personal Spending Accounts to subsidize your healthy habits and purchases• Parental Leave Top Up • Work internationally for up to 60 days per occurrence • Weekly Friday companywide huddles for casual catch-ups with other departments • Build next-level relationships with your peers through scheduled companywide virtual team-building events • Be a part of something special. We are confident you won’t find any other insurance company like us :)
Who we are. What we're building.
Business is hard work, insurance doesn’t have to be!
At Zensurance we believe that teamwork makes the dream work.
We are passionate about providing business owners with the best insurance solutions at great rates through an online and easy-to-use platform.
Our secret sauce is all about our culture. Here at Zensurance our culture is built on four core values that we live and breathe every day, they are:
INTEGRITY: We do what's right.
INCLUDE: We are an open and safe space for all.
INVENT: We take an innovative approach to creating straightforward solutions for our customers.
DELIVER: We set ambitious goals and hold ourselves accountable for achieving them.
If reading all that piqued your interest, drop us a line and let us know why you would be a great fit for us. Whether it be through a resume - or something else you think is better - send us what you believe will impress us. Show us your creative process - how you think and solve problems!
True to its Canadian values, Zensurance celebrates diversity in its workforce structure and encourages applications from all backgrounds.
Zensurance is an inclusive employer that celebrates diversity in its workforce structure. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the recruiter, if you require accommodation; to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Other jobs like this
Data Architect - Data Lake & Analytics, Energy, Professional ServicesAthena Avro AWS Business Intelligence Computer Science Data Analytics Data Warehousing +17
Career development Conferences Salary bonus Signing bonus Startup environment +1
Coupa Software, Inc.
Senior/Lead - ETL Test Automation Engineer (Remote)Agile APIs AWS Computer Science Data Analytics Data Warehousing Engineering +8
401(k) matching Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +1
Data Architect - Data Warehouse & MPP, Oil, Gas, Energy, Professional ServicesAWS Business Intelligence Computer Science Data Analytics Data Warehousing Engineering ETL +13
Career development Conferences Salary bonus Signing bonus Startup environment
Sr. Machine Learning Solutions Architect, AWS Startups ML CoreAWS Consulting Engineering Machine Learning ML models Security
Career development Conferences Startup environment Team events
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs