Full Stack Data Engineer
Wayfair Data Engineering is the engine that powers an eCommerce enterprise obsessed with data. We move fast, iterating quickly on big business problems. We work smart, applying technology to unlock insights and provide outsized value to our customers. We swing big, knowing our customers won’t benefit from micro optimizations. Leveraging the largest data set for products sold in the Home space, this team treats data as an asset and determines how to maximize its business value and extend our competitive advantage.
Wayfair’s marketing and clickstream analysis efforts are instrumental in us further growing our market share in a $300 billion home goods market! Every day, we ingest billions of rows of data about how people pick out the perfect items for their home, and this data is what drives our marketing strategies and website development. The Senior Full Stack Data Engineer will be working collaboratively with our online storefront and marketing business partners to design the data platform that enables our leadership team to make strategic decisions at the speed of thought through self service reporting.
You will be responsible for driving transformation across our Marketing and Storefront vertical. You will be instrumental in designing and delivering Data Warehouses, Data Lake, Self-Service Tooling, Real-time Streaming and Big Data Solutions for multiple functional areas using modern cloud technologies. You will have the chance to combine a deep knowledge of business and technical mastery to own and deliver the right solution for the right business problem. Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to move fast, adapt quickly, and leave a lasting mark through the new solutions you deliver!What you’ll do
- Own and develop technical architecture, design and implementation of big data platforms and business analytics solutions to empower your stakeholders to solve problems through self-service reporting.
- Collaborate with your stakeholders and other engineering leaders to define and develop the data architecture roadmap for the functional area that you support.
- Use modern platforms and tools including Google BigQuery/Google Cloud Platform, Atscale and Looker to design and implement appropriate end-to-end data architecture, data pipelines and self-service reporting solutions.
- Act as a subject matter expert to leadership for technical guidance, solution design and best practices within the Marketing and Storefront organization.
- Be a technical mentor to junior engineers and expose the team to new opportunities, while still being able to dependably deliver on ongoing goals. Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends, evaluate, work on proof-of-concept and make recommendations on the technologies based on their merit
- Advanced SQL and programming experience with Python, Java, or equivalent scripting language
- Experience developing in cloud platforms such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred), AWS, Azure, or Snowflake at scale.
- Solid experience designing and implementing DW Architecture, OLAP technologies, star/snowflake-schemas to enable self-service reporting.
- Experience with real-time data streaming tools like Kafka, Kinesis, Apache Storm or any similar tools.
- Experience with big data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, MongoDB or other open source big data tools.
- Experience architecting data solutions utilizing BI tools like Looker, Tableau, AtScale, PowerBI, or any similar tools.
- Strong business acumen, critical thinking, and ability to work cross functionally through collaboration with engineering and business partners.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as you’ll be regularly interacting with Marketing and Storefront leadership.
- Previous experience in eCommerce is a plus
- 3+ years of Data Architecture experience working in partnership with large data sets (5+TB highly desired)
- 2+ years of experience leading or mentoring technical teams.
- Bachelor’s or Masters in quantitative disciplines such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, or other scientific fields.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.