Research Data Scientist, Developer Productivity
Remote - US / Canada
GitHub is seeking a Research Data Scientist to join its Developer Productivity team. This role will focus on research investigations and initiatives that help to make developers work and lives better: things like developer productivity, velocity, and happiness. There’s no better place to investigate these questions, because GitHub is truly at the heart of software development for so many communities. We’re a collaborative team, whose work provides insight into how to best support developers, whether they are students, hobbyists, or seasoned professionals, working on open source projects or large enterprises.
- Collaborate with the research lead to design and conduct investigations into developer actions and activity following academically rigorous methods, balancing rigor and relevance.
- Communicate research findings to various stakeholders and audiences as appropriate: decks, short papers, white papers, etc.
- Advise and educate (internal) teams and (external) users on research: appropriate uses, visualizations, and interpretations. We are the best advocates for our work.
- Expertise in statistical methods and visualizations (5+ years preferred), including exploratory, descriptive, and predictive analysis, time series analysis, and an ability to work with fairly large datasets. Experience with R or python strongly preferred. SQL required.
- Experience with research design, understanding the constraints and limitations of different designs and why one might choose one over another. While this role is largely quantitatively-focused, an appreciation for mixed methods is important. Experience with behavioral and survey methods, including psychometrics, is strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication, particularly when it comes to relating research and statistical concepts to those without a research/ statistical background. An appreciation of, and ability to communicate, nuance is important.
- An understanding of the software delivery process and pipeline, with an appreciation of the user experience.
Be able to work independently with minimal supervision, driving to create interim and final reports and assets. Also be able to work and collaborate with others in a team environment, helping to contribute to products and services our users love. We embrace broad measures of impact.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.