Senior Data Scientist, Value Based Care (Remote Option)
Mountain View, CA
Bring your analytics mastery and skills to new product development in the cutting-edge digital healthcare arena. In this job you will partner with our ground-breaking Data Science group to answer pressing questions in healthcare more quickly (and dare we say better?) than ever before. You will be a leader at the intersection of multiple fascinating disciplines, learning and innovating every day.
In your role as Principal Data Scientist, Value Based Care, you will take the lead in developing cost and utilization performance reporting, early warning insights, and deep-dive analytics, to improve clinical and cost and utilization outcomes for our members with chronic and behavioral health conditions. You’ll leverage your skills to develop performance metrics, targets, and thresholds and lead monthly performance reviews . You’ll help us understand which members are at highest risk of poor clinical and cost outcomes while there is still time to change these outcomes. In this way you’ll enable Livongo to optimize our internal resource allocation and focus on the highest impact changes that support our members and our business.
For ultimate success in this role you’ll demonstrate comfort in both the healthcare and data science realms as you collaborate with our internal teams and external clients. We’re looking for a content expert in cost and utilization analytics, as well as a bridge-builder who can speak across Health Services, Product, Data Science, Data Engineering and Ops disciplines. We’re looking for someone who can listen to different perspectives and frameworks and turn varying inputs into actionable analytics. Your core competencies include creative problem solving, project management, curiosity, and the drive to learn new methods, as well as the ability to execute.
Ready to apply traditional cost and utilization analytics to improve health outcomes for our members, and reduce medical expenses for our clients, partners and the healthcare R&D community? We want to hear from you today!
- Work collaboratively with members of the Product, Clinical, Data Science and Engineering teams to optimize data ingestion pipelines and build data products that help people live better lives
- Analyze both commercial and Medicare healthcare claims, pharmacy claims, proprietary Livongo data, and other types of data to understand which Livongo programs work for which clients – and why
- Identify Livongo members who are at risk for poor health outcomes or increased medical spending to drive improvement actions
- Create cost and utilization reporting and analytics for clients and for Livongo
- Develop metrics and set targets and threshholds using benchmark data
- Develop early warning insights and analytics from end-to-end, including advising on required data sources, developing metrics, benchmarks, and reporting
- Engage with stakeholders to identify key analytic questions or develop hypothesis related to outcomes drivers
- Design, perform, and communicate results of analysis projects
- Help Livongo shape and target our product development through a better statistical understanding of our members, including segmentation
- Provide consultative support for internal team leaders, helping to steer the company toward risk management and continuously improved outcomes
- Help to optimize the data infrastructure technology for Livongo analytics
Our successful candidate will have:
- Tenacious curiosity to understand and share the story behind data to improve people’s lives
- 7+ years’ experience as a healthcare analyst or data scientist, with strong quantitative and report development capabilities
- Data domain expertise in cost and utilization analytics metrics, methods, and frameworks via medical and pharmacy claims data, as well as other data sources
- In-depth knowledge of the healthcare industry, including managed care organizations, pharmaceutical benefit management organizations, government systems, hospital systems and integrated care systems
- Strong data analysis skills, including using R, SQL, Python and/or other statistical software packages
- A consultant’s skill for designing insights
- Experience building unique and powerful analytic tools.
- Demonstrated capacity to understand and communicate the big picture.
- Track record for independent, self-directed work in cross-functional teams.
- Self awareness and experience being collaborative, kind, and empathetic.
- Excellent process, project management and problem-solving skills
- The ability to manage multiple projects, exercising smart triage and good business judgment
- Strong respect for confidentiality
- The people skills to maintain productive goal-achieving relationships with colleagues and external collaborators (even if numbers are your first love)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Health Services Research, Epidemiology, Business Analytics, Data Science, or similar
- Analytics experience with Medicare data, including HEDIS, Star Ratings, or Risk Adjustment
- Actuarial experience or education
- Technical interest and experience with data visualization
- Advanced degree or credential in Actuarial Sciences, Health Services Research, Epidmiology, Business Analytics, or Data Science
Why Join Livongo?
The Transformative Name in Healthcare: The transformative industry forces in Community, Content and Commerce are now household names. As Amazon is to Commerce, Livongo is to Healthcare. With our Applied Health Signals engine, AI+AI, we’ve transformed how care is delivered.
Our Work Truly Matters: Livongo’s proprietary, consumer-first technology is revolutionizing the experience of living with a chronic health condition. Our data-driven digital health engine enables our Members to seamlessly manage multiple health conditions on one empowering platform. We use smart, connected devices, personalized digital guidance, and 24x7x365 access to health professionals to make it easier for people to stay healthier.
Make an Impact: Do you want to accomplish something meaningful? To create results that matter. Livongo’s innovative solution produces industry-leading member satisfaction, measurable clinical outcomes and proven healthcare costs savings. With our growing member base of over 200,000 people with chronic conditions, your work can truly improve lives on a national scale.
The Largest Digital Health IPO in History: We are at a milestone period in our history. On July 25, 2019 we took our company public, in order to elevate and expand the way the industry views us, thus ushering us into a whole new set of mission-critical conversations that will help us accomplish the work still to be done. As we reach new levels of achievement, we accelerate our ability to deliver life-changing services.
Focus on PEOPLE: Livongo has been voted one of the Best Places to Work in healthcare, by Fortune Magazine and Best Place to Work! Talented, passionate individuals make the difference, in this fast-moving, collaborative and inspiring environment.
Diversity and Inclusion: At Livongo we believe that personal and professional diversity is the key to innovation. We hire based solely on your strengths and qualifications, and the way in which those strengths can directly contribute to your success in your new position.
Growth and Innovation: We’ve already made healthcare history, yet we remain on the threshold of very big things. Leading the industry with our Applied Health Signals category, we have cracked the code to transforming healthcare. Come grow with us and support our mission to make a tangible difference in the lives of our Members.
See photos, watch videos and learn more about Livongo: follow us on Glassdoor.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never have and never will discriminate against any job candidate or employee due to age, race, religion, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, medical condition, family history, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, parental status or pregnancy (including breastfeeding – we have a mother’s room in both our offices). In our innovative and inclusive workplace, we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.