Research Scientist AI Science - Learning and Reasoning
Yorktown Heights, New York, US
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today's most complex challenges, whether it’s discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking a Research Scientist to conduct novel research on the topic of foundations of machine learning and optimization, which includes the specific topics of computational and statistical efficiency of learning algorithms, optimization theory and algorithms, novel parallel and decentralized machine learning optimization techniques over multiple GPUs and/or CPUs, robust training procedures in presence of uncertainty, ambiguity, and unreliability such that learned models can be more adaptive to unseen tasks/data.
We are seeking a leader who is motivated by addressing fundamental AI problems and is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and collaboration with the scholarly community, with business units within IBM, and with external partners and clients. In this unique role, you will interact with the brightest minds in AI and will help bring AI research ideas into scalable, robust systems. We want to bring out the best in you and expect you to do the same to us. Your can-do approach to creative problem solving will be critical to the success of your team and the company.
- Create new technologies to make ML and AI more effective, robust and scalable.
- Publish results and file patent disclosures as appropriate.
- Develop solutions to tackle real-world societal problems.
- Apply software engineering skills, design skills, and creative thinking to build cutting edge AI systems.
- Be an active member of the research community, by validating and contributing to advances in ML.
- Identify and refine project requirements and solutions to potentially abstract AI challenges.
- Work in high intensity, joint teams of software engineers and research scientists.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- PhD degree in mathematics, physics, computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, or related technical field
- Deep knowledge in mathematical sciences and AI, including optimization theory and algorithms, parallel and decentralized machine-learning optimization
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages and machine learning packages
- Publication record in top-tier journals or conferences
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Knowledge of or experience with one or more of the following: automated theorem proving, information theory, graph algorithms, meta-learning, reinforcement learning
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few
Your Life @ IBM
Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
The IBM Research Division conducts scientific research and develops technologies and processes for use with IBM products and customer applications. IBM Research has produced leading contributions to the technology underlying IBM's product portfolio, as well as to the world of science and the entire IT industry. For more information please visit www.research.ibm.com.
The World is Our Laboratory: No matter where discovery takes place, IBM researchers push the boundaries of science, technology and business to make the world work better. IBM Research is a global community of forward-thinkers working towards a common goal: progress.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: AI Engineering Machine Learning ML Research