Data Scientist, Growth (Remote)
United States / Canada
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We are looking for a data scientist who will bring and develop a deep understanding of user growth, user segmentation, paid marketing optimization, and LTV predictions to help us accelerate the growth of our subscription business and make our best-in-class product even better. In this role, you will work closely with our data, product, marketing, and engineering teams to develop advanced models that help us understand our business, optimize and automate our workflows, and help our product make smarter, more informed recommendations. As a member of our small data science team, your work will have a significant impact on our business strategy and how our subscribers use our product.
- Design, build, and implement mathematical models to drive key long-term business goals, including subscriber retention and offer revenue.
- Train machine learning and data mining algorithms to solve problems across several teams.
- Lead projects with hands-on analysis and modeling, drawing from multiple analytical methods to choose the right tool and right level of complexity appropriate for the job.
- Use quantitative analysis to deeply understand what marketing and user data are saying, and to develop recommendations based on that analysis.
- Design and develop data science pipelines in production.
- Guide complex experiments.
- Cultivate an outstanding analytics environment.
- Evangelize and expand the impact of data science.
- 2-3 years of experience as a data scientist with a proven ability to apply scientific methods to solve real-world problems on web scale data.
- Strong working knowledge of a scripting language like R or Python.
- Fluency in SQL.
- Knowledge of statistical principles and how they apply to predictive modeling.
- Ability to drive projects with minimal guidance and prioritize high-impact work.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to build cross-functional relationships.
- Can explain sophisticated concepts to diverse audiences and craft compelling stories.
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem.
- Familiarity with Apache Airflow or other data workflow scheduling platforms.
- Prior experience working with web-based subscription user data.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our salary survey at salaries.ai-jobs.net
Other jobs like this
Data ScientistData analysis Data Analytics Data visualization Economics Engineering Machine Learning Predictive modeling Python Research SQL +2
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Equity Flex hours +5
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs