Staff Fellow - Data Scientist
Silver Spring, Maryland
INTRODUCTION: The Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH or Center), as the scientific and regulatory component of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) charged with facilitating and ensuring medical device innovation, safety, and effectiveness, and advancing regulatory is now accepting applications for a Staff Fellow (Data Scientist) to serve in the Office of Strategic Partnerships and Technology Innovation (OST or Office), specifically the Resilient Supply Chain Program (RSCP or Program). The RSCP has the responsibility of strengthening public health supply chains by proactively monitoring, assessing, and communicating risks and vulnerabilities to prevent shortages of medical devices within the U.S. This Program continues to develop innovative and effective national strategies, in collaboration with industry, as well as public and private stakeholders, to ensure adequate inventories of safe, effective, and reliable medical devices are available and accessible for use.
POSITION SUMMARY: The RSCP has an immediate opening for a Staff Fellow (Data Scientist). In this position, the selected candidate will be responsible for supporting the Center in matters relating to the availability of medical devices and their supply chains, to include vulnerability assessment, threat mitigation management, and establishing strategic metrics and milestones centered on supply chain resiliency. Specifically, the Staff Fellow will assist in the development and implementation of data analytic tools within OST to support activities involving data sourcing, acquisition, cleaning, validation, ingestion and integration, as well as data governance. Additionally, the candidate will engage in exploratory data analysis activities and develop machine learning (ML) models designed to detect and identify early signals of potential threats that may lead to supply chain disruptions and medical device shortages.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES: As a Staff Fellow (Data Scientist), the selected candidate will:
- Serve as an expert and technical authority on analytical and programming techniques necessary to collect, organize, analyze, and interpret unique and highly specialized data sets related to medical device supply chains.
- Assist in the development of a comprehensive, state-of-the-art data acquisition, analytics, and modeling strategies in support of RSCP’s strategic mission and programmatic goals.
- Develop statistical and ML models to detect and identify supply chain vulnerabilities and risks.
- Collaborate with the Center’s Digital Transformation and Data Modernization Teams to develop a comprehensive enterprise-wide supply chain data governance strategy, which includes management, security, transference, and integration components.
- Develop recommendations on cloud-based solutions and custom software to support supply chain business technology integration needs.
- Identify potential risks and actual vulnerabilities and encourage continuous improvements in data collection and management through advancements in technology and business operations.
- Serve as an expert consultant and liaison on cross-functional teams within the Office and Center related to the development, utilization, and interpretation of medical device supply chain data and associated studies.
- Evaluate the causation of various supply chain shocks and develop and share mitigation strategies across the Office and Center, as well as with industry, suppliers, contract manufacturers, distributors, and other stakeholders to identify potential disruptions and shortages.
- Continuously evaluate the performance and impact of RSCP and research new and emerging technologies to enhance and advance data collection, analytics, visualization, and predictive modeling, as well as programmatic goals and objectives.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / KEY REQUIREMENTS: To qualify for this position, you must demonstrate in your resume the necessary experience for this position, which is equivalent to the following:
- Demonstrated skill in developing and implementing artificial intelligence and ML tools
- Experience in developing specialized analytical tools and systems required for medical device supply chain and shortage analysis
- Expertise in using open-source programming languages such as R and Python to manipulate and analyze data
- Experience in predictive modeling and optimization algorithms
- Experience with training ML models under data-starved conditions
- Familiarity with deep learning (CNNs, RNNs, LSTMs, GANs), and the associated libraries (TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.)
- Evidence of a strong commitment to data quality, validation, and transparency
- Experience in project management and risk management
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: This position is multidisciplinary, and applicants will be required to meet the specific qualification requirements of the Data Scientist (1560).
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: In order to be eligible for a Staff Fellow position, applicants should possess a Ph.D. or equivalent degree. Additionally, to qualify for the Data Scientist series, applicants must possess a bachelor’s or graduate/higher level degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or fields directly related to the position. Applicants may also qualify for the Data Scientist series with a combination of education and experience. To that end, applicants must have completed at least 30 semester hours of coursework in any of disciplines listed above in combination with professional experience in the field.
Applicants who have completed part or all their education outside the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. This evaluation must also be provided by midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of this vacancy announcement. For more information on Foreign Education verification, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation. Another listing of services that can perform this evaluation is available at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) website.
POSITON LEVELS: These Staff Fellow positions will be filled at the equivalent pay grades of the General Schedule (GS) 13 and 14. Similar to the GS, specific duties may vary by position level, Branch, and Division. For additional salary information, click here.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- This position is for a two (2) year appointment with the possibility of an extension based upon funding and will be filled through FDA’s Staff Fellowship Program
- Background and/or Security investigation required.
- Applicants who are U.S. Citizens and born male, on (or after) 12/31/1959, must be registered with the Selective Service System OR have an approved exemption.
- This position may require financial disclosure reporting and will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation. If you are hired, you may be required to divest of certain financial interests. You are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting any job offers. For additional information, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office
SALARY: Salary ranges from $106,823.00 to $164,102.00 and is commensurate with education and experience.
LOCATION: Silver Spring, Maryland, FDA Headquarters, White Oak Campus
How to Apply: Submit an electronic resume or curriculum vitae, cover letter containing describing why you are uniquely qualified for this position, and a copy of unofficial transcripts all in one document (Adobe PDF) to CDRHRecruitment@fda.hhs.gov, with Job Reference code “2022-OST-RSCP-Data Scientist-001” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through July 29, 2022.
Additional Announcement Information
- COVID-19: Due to COVID-19, the Agency is currently in an expanded telework posture. If selected, you may be expected to temporarily telework, even if your home is located outside the local commuting area. Once employees are permitted to return to the office, you will be expected to report to the duty station listed on this announcement within 45 days. At that time, you may be eligible to request to continue to telework one or more days a pay period depending upon the terms of the agency's telework policy. To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Safer Federal Workforce Task Force guidance on other Federal agency safety protocols based on vaccination status—including guidance on protocols related to masking, distancing, travel, testing, and quarantine—remains in effect.
- Security and Background Requirements: All candidates must meet applicable security requirements which include a background check and a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years’ residency status in the US. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection, or appropriate disciplinary action.
- Benefits: The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://www.usa.gov/benefits-for-federal-employees
- For more information about the Resilient Supply Chain Program at FDA/CDRH: https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/cdrh-offices/resilient-supply-chain-program-medical-devices.
- Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid.
HHS/FDA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs