Senior Big Data Engineer |Scala, Spark
Remote - Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
We are on a mission to connect creators and consumers around the world. We believe in the magic of content and the impact it has on peoples life.
At Parrot Analytics, we deliver the world’s leading content demand analytics built on the largest demand database to bring the science to the art of content. Rapidly establishing itself as one of the most innovative companies in Hollywood, our products are helping drive a new era in the entertainment industry as we are empowering our clients to make the most powerful data-driven decisions every day.
We are a data science company that empowers media companies, brands and agencies (think Google, Amazon, Facebook, Disney, HBO, Netflix, Lego, Apple) to understand global audience demand for content. Wielding the world’s largest audience behaviour data sets, we have developed the world’s only global cross-platform, country-specific Content Demand Measurement System.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Senior Big Data Software Engineer with professional experience and a good understanding of Java, Scala, Spark and Big Data technologies. You will build and maintain critical platform and infrastructure predominantly built on AWS cloud to enable our team to develop the next generation of product modules and features that define cutting edge innovation.
You will work collaboratively with a team of world class engineers, data scientists and industry insights analysts to understand what they need to get their jobs done and will deal with collecting and processing of high volumes of data in the tune of hundreds of GBs per day. You care deeply about the accuracy, availability and security of our core data platform whilst being highly passionate about monitoring metrics and adapting new technologies relevant to platform and business.
You are an ambitious leader in your own right, a self-starter and an organised teammate who thrives in a fast growing, dynamic, results driven environment. If you want to be known for playing a key role in building & maintaining the technology behind the global entertainment industry’s first ever measure of content popularity, then this role is the best fit for you.
- Solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, concurrent programming and software design.
- 5+ years of solid software development experience - especially in consuming REST APIs and building high throughput applications (both in terms of calls and data flowing)
- 3+ years of Big Data engineering experience in dealing high volumes of data , either on premise or cloud environment.
- Experienced in building highly scalable architectures: designing, operating and supporting secure, high-performance, high-availability, large-scale, distributed systems
- Highly confident in Java and Scala – We code primarily in Java/Scala/Python, but we believe that engineers with deep fundamentals can pick up new languages relatively quickly.
- Very confident with NoSQL and SQL Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) : ORM frameworks and performance tuning techniques.
- Experience with key big data technologies like Apache Spark, Hadoop, Redis, Elastic search, and similar technologies
- Empathy for customers, teammates, and other stakeholders
- Excellent team player with effective communication skills who is able to listen intently and understand the needs of the business, can convert these into clear and easily understood specifications and are able to present this across teams
- A hands on problem-solver who loves working as part of a team, strives for continuous improvement and is “fascinated by data” (curious for the extracting insights out of it).
- Good communication and presentation skills and also who can collaborate with other teams in achieving the common goal.
At Parrot, you will be in a role you love and will work with people you will enjoy sharing life with. We are a diverse team from every corner of the world putting our best foot forward to live our values and master our strengths.
You will get the encouragement, support, flexibility and resources you need to succeed, learn and grow in the role and in your career.
Here are some of our benefits:
- Flexible working - location and hours (remote first with office options)
- Opportunity to take part in the Employee Share Options Plan
- US$1K to spend on training/development every year
- Enhanced paid parental leave - 12 weeks for primary carer and 4 weeks for secondary carer
- Birthday leave
- Bi-annual salary reviews.
Want to learn more about what we do?
To explore other opportunities we have on offer and learn more about us, visit: https://parrot-analytics.workable.com/
Other jobs like this
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs