Machine Learning Research Engineer
Fully Remote (USA) or Westport, CT
Bridgewater Associates is a premier asset management firm, focused on delivering unique insight and partnership for the most sophisticated global institutional investors.
Our investment process is driven by a tireless pursuit to understand how the world’s markets and economies work — using cutting edge technology to validate and execute on timeless and universal investment principles. Founded in 1975, we are a community of independent thinkers who share a commitment for excellence.
By fostering a culture of openness, transparency, and inclusion, we strive to unlock the most complex questions in investment strategy, management, and corporate culture.
Bridgewater’s unique success is the direct result of our unique way of being. We want an idea meritocracy in which meaningful work and meaningful relationships are pursued through radical truth and radical transparency. We require people to be extremely open, air disagreements, test each other’s logic, and view discovering mistakes and weaknesses as a good thing that leads to improvement and innovation. It is by continually striving together for the highest levels of truth and excellence that we create meaningful work and meaningful relationships. Within this culture, Diversity and Inclusion is a top priority because it is essential to finding the best talent in the world, enabling our idea meritocracy, and creating an environment where all types of people can thrive. We have a full-time team as well as affinity networks that work on these issues - If you would like to learn more, please let your Bridgewater recruiter know.
About the Technology Department
The Technology team at Bridgewater engineers systems to understand the world. These systems synthesize and industrialize our global understanding into a hive mind of macroeconomic knowledge which enables us to educate and collaborate with the world’s most influential central banks and policy makers and carefully and strategically manage the world’s most important capital. Our technologists are engineering highly available, high performing and highly secure cloud platforms and infrastructure which support and scale our investing operations.
We are seeking machine learning research engineers to join our data science team. We are a fast growing, ambitious, and collaborative team with the mandate to identify areas within Bridgewater where machine learning will improve our investment outcomes. We use machine learning methodologies to drive value throughout the investment pipeline, on problems like trade execution, portfolio construction, and signal generation.
A successful candidate will collaborate with our research scientists, senior investors, and platform engineers on model building, deployment, and scaling. The individual will work on projects requiring complex machine learning models with high investment value and difficult engineering challenges throughout the stack from infrastructure, platform to algorithmic and visualization development. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to own broad swathes of investment research and participate actively in the idea generation and the productionization of research.
We think you’ll click with us if you:
- Passion for understanding and applying the latest machine-learning techniques
- Can drive complex, high-value ML projects involving multiple partners to success, on time
- Act as an owner, assume responsibility and drive issues to resolution
- Constantly raise the bar, exploring new, unique solutions to established and emerging issues
- Anticipate problems and complications, and formulate solutions to unblock the progress of the project
- Can balance pragmatism, excellence, and agility with good logic
- Can prioritize and organize many concurrent threads across different initiatives whilst balancing risk.
You’ll drive the following responsibilities:
- Developing and validating models to answer complex investment questions
- Creating and deploying new ML systems and experiments in a production environment
- Partnering with senior investors to ensure alignment with Bridgewater’s investment understanding
- Collaborating with engineers to drive productionization of new methodologies
- Excellent quantitative background in machine learning, statistics, and experimental design
- Proven track-record of building ML training and inference pipelines with unique ML models for regression problems
- Strong knowledge of the latest ML statistical techniques and ability to pragmatically apply to problems
- Capability to efficiently deploy and scale validated models
- Degree from an accredited undergraduate institution with excellent academic track-record in Computer Science, Statistics or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Exceptional experience in R / Python with particularly track-record writing performant and maintainable code
- Working knowledge of causal inference and C/C++ preferred, but not required
For most of our roles, Bridgewater offers remote work flexibility, with most employees required to work on campus as their principal work location, a minimum of two days (and in some cases three days) per week with the option to work offsite on other days. The role offers full remote work flexibility.
The compensation band for this role is $225,000 – $400,000 per year.
Why Choose Bridgewater?
One of our core priorities at Bridgewater is to enable our employees to build a great life and career, and we believe our benefits are an important extension of that philosophy. As such, currently Bridgewater offers a competitive suite of benefits including:
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered and access to additional concierge medical services
- 401(k) plan with generous employer match
- Paid time off, including fully paid parental leave and a competitive PTO package
- Workplace flexibility and access to back up childcare
- Financial assistance for family building support, including adoption and egg freezing
- Workplace wellness, including on-site gyms, free meals and healthy snacks, and meditation rooms
- An engaged and active community that includes many company events, affinity networks, and extracurricular interest groups and more
Bridgewater reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations.
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Bridgewater has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Other jobs like this
Research Scientist (Information Retrieval, Complex Networks, Recommender Systems)Classification Deep Learning Excel Machine Learning Python PyTorch Recommender systems Research Scala Scikit-Learn +1
401(k) matching Career development Conferences Flex hours Flex vacation +7
Machine Learning EngineerAirflow Big Data Blockchain Business Intelligence Crypto Kubernetes Machine Learning ML MLOps Python +5
Career development Competitive pay Equity Flex vacation
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs