Sr. Data Scientist
Seattle, WA; Vancouver, BC or remote in North America
Moz is seeking a professional data scientist with interest in driving performance through analytical insight. This role will work directly with internal Moz stakeholders like marketing, finance, and operations to help surface the information they need to make decisions, as well as focus on creating deep insights to drive impact.
Diversity & Inclusivity. Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close the gender gap in tech, and to actively recruit people from other underrepresented groups. We strongly encourage women, gender diverse people, and minority candidates to apply for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Recommend and build data science models in both supervised and unsupervised contexts around marketing, customer, and product data. These include problems like regression, classification, clustering, and forecasting.
- Build inferential statistical models.
- Talk directly to stakeholders and management about problems relevant to the business. Work together with other team members on making incremental improvements.
- Work with Python / SQL / and AWS.
- Implement production processes in cloud architectures with a high degree of automation.
- Present findings among peers and stakeholders. Socialize projects and results that help inform Moz and guide the business.
- Visualize data for informing stakeholders of analyses.
- Collaborate with other team members to build and optimize our data lake / data warehouse tech stack.
- Offer strategic guidance to peers and business teams on how to best leverage our data.
- Recommend, design, and interpret A/B testing results.
What We Want to See
- You’re an excellent communicator, used to distilling complex technical topics down to actionable insights to advise stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- You’ve demonstrated educational and professional experience with statistics. This includes applying data science to projects with stakeholders where the goals are potentially unclear and the risks are unknown.
- You work in a collaborative team environment. This includes mentoring, teaching, asking and answering questions, and communicating with your colleagues.
- You know how to code in Python. You’ve written production level code which your peers have reviewed and approved of.
- You know data - structured and unstructured. It may be difficult to access, it may be in some JSON blob somewhere, but if it’s recorded you’ve had to dig it out.
- You know how to work with cloud technologies. You’re able to talk about systems which scale beyond your local computer and think through design patterns for distributed systems.
- You are proficient in SQL, able to write advanced and efficient queries while working with terabyte sized datasets.
- Experience with at least one major relational database is required (Oracle, MySQL, Redshift, etc.).
- Massively Parallel Processing database experience is a plus.
- You have proven analytical and quantitative ability and a passion for enabling customers to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop business cases, and complete root cause analyses.
- You can create inferential statistical models.
- You’re experienced reviewing others’ work, offering feedback, and instilling best practices.
- You are a data manipulator; you have extracted, transformed and loaded data across multiple systems.
- You have education or equivalent experience in a related field (ex - computer science, statistics, mathematics) and at least 4 years of professional experience putting models into a production environment.
Nice to Have
- Experience with a software as a service business
- R programming skills
- BI visualization experience (Tableau, PowerBI, etc)
- AWS specific certifications / experience
Moz is the most trusted authority in online search with powerful SEO and Local Search platforms to help marketers improve the position of their brands, business locations and competitive rank in search results. Moz’s platforms are powered by world class-quality data, both robust and fresh enough to serve as the foundation upon which crucial business decisions are made. For both large enterprises looking to gain an edge in the increasingly complex and ever-changing world of search or an agency seeking an SEO platform to accelerate client growth, Moz has a solution. Check it out at www.moz.com.
Some reasons why you’d want to work with us:
- You want to play a big part in a small but profitable company who are industry leaders.
- You do your best in a setting where excellent work is what’s valued—not face time (a good work-life balance is just how we do things!)
- You value authenticity and a work environment that values who you are and what you can do.
- You’re looking for a big challenge that involves lots of variety, collaboration, inventiveness, and on your toes thinking.
- You want to work alongside people who are passionate, friendly, and helpful.
Our benefits include:
- A strong commitment to work-life balance. We provide a US$3,000 per calendar year vacation expense reimbursement for all employees as well as a one time home office allowance and monthly cell phone plan stipend.
- Employer match contributions on retirement plans.
- Generous paid time off and flexible remote work policies.
- Personal career development including 10 face to face career coaching sessions a year.
- Twice a year merit pay increases.
- 100% match on charitable contributions up to $5,000/year.
- Generous paid parental, medical and family leave policies to support you during major life events.