Senior Director of Data Science
BitSightBitSight offers the world's leading security ratings solution with a mission to change the way the world manages cybersecurity risk.
BitSight’s mission is to enable trust in digital transactions. Together, we are transforming how the market governs cybersecurity risk through Security Ratings. BitSight Security Ratings are real-time, data-driven measurements of cyber security performance that help companies, investors, insurers, government agencies and regulators make informed, dynamic risk decisions impacting business results, financial investments and national security.
- Founded in 2011, BitSight transforms how organizations manage information security risk.
- Manage third party risk, underwrite cyber insurance policies, benchmark performance, conduct M&A due diligence and assess aggregate risk.
- Seven of the top 10 cyber insurers, 20% of Fortune 500 companies, and 3 of the top 5 investment banks use BitSight
- BitSight is the most widely used Security Ratings Service with over 2,500 customers and the largest ecosystem of users and information
We are interested in someone who wants to unify their knowledge and professional experience within the fields of data science and cybersecurity onto our mission of aggregating trusted data and insights that enable risk-based decision making. As the Senior Director of the Data Science team, you’ll be managing a diverse group who are focused on maintaining and evolving our Security Rating, consuming and interpreting new cybersecurity data inputs into our models, and exploring and developing analytics and product enhancements to service customer needs. You will be operating in this role in cooperation with the general managers of our products (Third-party Risk Management, Security Performance Management, Critical National Infrastructure, Cyber Insurance) to ensure initiatives are aligned with customer value and recognizing how we can apply data science concepts and technologies to solve challenges and open areas of opportunity. You will be engaging with internal and external stakeholders to shape how we understand, interpret, and communicate cybersecurity risk in the context of observations from both inside and outside any rated organization. In addition to a product-development focus, you will also be collaborating with the marketing and thought leadership groups to push original research based on unique insights.
- Focus on successful enablement and growth of leaders within the organization, often leading with a transformational style.
- Define, manage, and communicate a long-term vision on how data science concepts and technologies can be applied in a cyber risk analysis context.
- Enable successful evolution of the maturity and sophistication of our Security Rating to increase entropy and breadth of risk measurement and more accurately assess security control effectiveness.
- Establish a strong understanding of how our data records are collected and what they imply, becoming a subject matter expert in our observables and apply that knowledge throughout the group.
- Guide the performance of data analysis on internally and externally-collected data sets, with the purpose of understanding new and existing ways to gain information about the cybersecurity risk profiles of companies and organizations relevant to further product development.
- Encourage creativity and innovation to facilitate ideas that take the form of products, features, enhancements, and be able to evaluate, measure, and communicate success of those initiatives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional implementation groups, including engineering, cybersecurity research, product management, to deliver ideas to customers.
- Engage with internal stakeholders, leaders, and customers to understand and solicit feedback on viability of initiatives and projects.
- Review, validate, and promote studies, models, and prototypes produced by members of the team to key stakeholders within the organization to further innovation and shape the product(s) roadmap.
- Represent the data science team at the company and explain concepts, initiatives, and investments to a diversity of audiences, inside and outside the organization, and ensure our customer-facing teams are readily educated on the mechanics of our solution with the appropriate material and collateral.
- Have a high attention to detail and ability to assure data quality by developing methods for data curation, cleaning, modeling, and review.
- Identify opportunities for improving the effectiveness of the application of tools within the team, and establish practices to enable scale and efficiency.
- 12+ years professional experience and a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ year managing, and leading multi-focus teams across a diversity of projects, including growing and fostering ownership within the team of various business initiatives and technical domains.
- Success in application of data science tools and technologies in product and research contexts (machine learning, cloud computing experience, etc), including end-to-end ideation to implementation and customer feedback.
- Technical background with expertise in networking and computer security, including knowledge of system administration practices, application protocols, and cybersecurity frameworks.
- Current or previous software engineering experience, Python, R, Java, Scala
- Prior experience and/or willing to learn big data processing technologies such as Hadoop / Spark.
Diversity. BitSight is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, or status as an individual with a disability.
Culture. We put our people first. BitSight offers best in class benefits, including unlimited paid time off, 401k match, and commuter benefits. All employees are bonus eligible. We devote the same energy to nurturing our company's inclusive culture as we apply to serving our customers' needs. Working at BitSight will give you the opportunity to fulfill your professional goals and expand your skills.
Open-minded. If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in BitSight’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. This position may be considered a promotional opportunity, pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. If you are resident of Colorado, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive compensation and benefits information for this role.
Other jobs like this
Software Engineering Manager - Machine Learning PlatformEngineering Kubernetes Machine Learning Model training PhD Testing
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +5
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs