Data Scientist - Assessment
San Francisco, California
ABOUT THE ROLE:As Udemy looks toward the future of online education, assessments lie at the heart of promoting learner progression and growth. Udemy is building a new group focused on skill assessment technologies. Toward this end, we are looking for a data scientist with strong statistical modeling skills, hands-on experience with empirical research methods in the social sciences, and a track record of shipping product features powered by machine learning.
ABOUT YOU:As a data scientist at Udemy, you’ll be partnering with product managers, designers, and engineers to build algorithmic and model-driven solutions to power adaptive skill assessments. Success in this role will require a combination of product intuition, applied research instincts, and the data science and coding chops to dive headfirst into development on production systems.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with PMs, designers, and engineers to scope and build an adaptive skill assessment platform
- Critically evaluate the state-of-the-art research literature in educational assessment
- Develop production-grade data pipelines
- Develop psychometric models for skill assessment through all phases including prototyping, productionization, and experimental evaluation
- Conduct statistical analysis to assess the reliability and validity of skill assessments
- Collaborate with content developers and instructional designers to develop and refine item writing and review processes
- Build Udemy’s technical brand through talks, blog posts, and publications
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 3+ years of hands-on industry experience in a data science-oriented role
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and machine learning
- Domain experience in educational assessment and psychometrics (e.g., Classical Test Theory (CTT), Item Response Theory (IRT), Computerized Adaptive Testing (CAT), equating and scaling)
- Familiarity with standard software engineering practices (e.g., Scrum)
- Proficiency with 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
Great if you have but not required:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience using big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark)
About UdemyWe believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the NewsUdemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher BenessePaid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and EngineeringHow Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success TomorrowFeedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken