SDE II, Search Engine Tech, Search Science and Data Infrastructure
Palo Alto, California, USA
Amazon.comFree shipping on millions of items. Get the best of Shopping and Entertainment with Prime. Enjoy low prices and great deals on the largest selection of everyday essentials and other products, including fashion, home, beauty, electronics, Alexa...
The Amazon Search Engine Technologies team builds the search engine that powers Amazon's world wide shopping experience. When a customer searches or browses Amazon website we connect them to the products and services they are looking for.
Right now, we are building next generation capabilities in the Search Engine Infrastructure using the latest advances in Data Engineering, ML, Data Science and Distributed Computing. We have a collaborative startup-like culture and strive to build the right thing right from day one. Our work is at the forefront of business, since we directly impact the Amazon Customer Experience, by delivering behavioral signals to all of Amazon worldwide.
Search Engine Technologies team is responsible for delivering high quality and fresh ML model training data, and providing seamless access to all ML artifacts through managed Federated Data Lake infrastructure. This big-data platform provides the ML training data to Amazon search ranking, matching quality, search economics and also powers live-site features, including search suggestions, query understanding, spelling, search result ranking, and personalization. More than 350 teams across Amazon consume our datasets.
- Flexibility to work from office or home, with the base office in Palo Alto. (2 Days a week in office recommended to maximize overlap with the team.)
- Commuter Friendly - We are located in downtown Palo Alto and right across from the Caltrain station. The location make it great for commute by public transportation.
- Work-Life Balance - We work hard but we know when to stop work and get back to living a wholesome life.
- Access to Major Tech and Scientific Conferences, our Principal Engineers and Scientists constantly advocate for team members to attend conferences, for skill building and networking with peers.
- Open Source Contributors - You get to work with and as an Open Source contributor, ask our Lucene experts how we are developing Lucene into a very custome implementation. Look up PECOS library and the associated training datasets.
- Flexibility to Build Your Career towards a Business Specialization or a Technology Specializations. We believe we need the specialists who are generalists at the core.
As a Software Development Engineer you will own and build:
- Data As A Product: Unblock Business, Science and Engineering Stakeholders by defining new data products, signals, engineered features and insights. Our stakeholders directly influence Search User Experience World Wide using our products. You will work backwards from these customers to build complex distributed computing software that generates enriched signals, features and experimental data sets that drive Search Engagement, Discovery of New Products and Enhanced Experience by serving mission-aware search results.
- Data Organization: You will define how we organize PB of our data on physical storage, and create appropriate indexes to make it easy to access for wide variety of use cases such as ML Training, Analytics, and privacy compliance.
- Data Quality: You will work with our customer to define metrics for data quality that reflect their concerns and relative priority amongst those concerns such as freshness, precision, and completeness. You will use these to define quality metrics for all the intermediate data-sets and take it all the way to define data quality metics for our inputs. You will define SLA for our data input providers for data quality and influence our architecture to gracefully degrade with imperfect data and providing mechanisms for our customers to understand quality of various data-sets so they can use it appropriately. You will define how we do trade-off between various concerns such as freshness, completeness, precision and cost.
- Design & Develop: Lead the design, get your hands dirty and write code, and ultimately deploy big data and machine learning services. These services define the foundation of our search R&D processes, supporting science, product development and production of the worlds largest product search engine.
- Operational Excellence: Obsess over operational excellence, evaluate system performance, security, design system metrics and driving quality improvements
- Obsess over customer needs and satisfaction
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Software development and design.
- Writing production code using Java, Scala, and Python
- Data Architecture and Data processing for ML and Analytical application
- Defining data and processing interfaces and getting buy-in from across the organization
- Leading delivery of projects requiring work from multiple organizations
- Data transformation/ETL tools and technologies and understanding of related concepts (such as data cataloging and curation, etc.)
- Big data infrastructure such as Hadoop, Spark, Kubernetes,etc.
- Implementation and tuning experience in the Big Data Ecosystem, (such as Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Hive), Database (such as Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server) and Data Warehouses (such as Redshift, Teradata, Vertica)
- Graduate degree in computer science or related field (MS or Ph.D.)
- Experience with public cloud infrastructure.
- AWS Certification, e.g. AWS Solutions Architect, Developer, or SysOps Associate/Professional
- Data-driven and “quantitative” mentality. Grounded, detail-oriented, always backs up ideas with facts
- Ability to understand complex application data flows and bridge the gap between technical and business app requirement
- Track record of implementing AWS services in a variety of business such as large enterprises and start-ups
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Other jobs like this
Charles River Analytics Inc.
Software Engineer – Computer Vision and Deep Learning (Mid-Senior)Caffe Computer Vision CUDA Deep Learning Engineering GPU OpenCV Python PyTorch Research +4
Career development Competitive pay Health care Insurance Medical leave +2
Data EngineerAgile AWS Azure Big Data Consulting Data Analytics Databricks Data pipelines Data visualization Engineering +22
Career development Competitive pay Flex vacation Health care Insurance
Sr. Technical Product Manager - AI/ML, Machine Learning Solutions LabAgile AWS Deep Learning Machine Learning ML MXNet PhD PyTorch SageMaker Statistical modeling +3
Career development Conferences Startup environment
Senior Applied Scientist, Amazon Software Builder InsightsAWS Economics Engineering Hadoop Machine Learning Matlab PhD Python R Research +5
Career development Conferences Salary bonus Signing bonus
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs