Project Manager, Data Operations
San Francisco, CA or Washington D.C.
6 month contract with option to extend/make full-time based on performance and external environmental factors
Washington, DC (preferred) or Remote (within US)
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Data Services is responsible for acquiring, processing, and delivering high quality location-oriented data to enable internal and external customers. We are a +140 person, distributed team, providing Mapbox maps with fresh and precise GIS and Points-of-Interest (POI) data across multiple layers of our map, data for routing and real-time traffic data for our navigation services, ingest billions of telemetry probes that come as live streams, and process heavy satellite and aerial imagery.
The Data Service Operations team works closely with the GM for Data Services along with Product and Engineering leadership and is responsible for ensuring the end-to-end operational excellence across Data Service teams. We develop and maintain the systems that drive efficiency in our day-to-day work of teams, manage team-wide meetings and events, develop and track key business and operational metrics and KPIs important for in our ability to scale, and be effective in communicating with our stakeholders within and outside of Mapbox.
What You’ll Do
- Partner closely with GM of Data Services and Product leaders to own, manage and track progress across key business goals, and Sales campaigns efforts and ROI metrics for current and new product offerings.
- Work with Engineering leaders to track and analyze Data Services AWS product spend across teams, develop initiatives for optimizing and managing costs at healthy levels across the division, and sharing best practices within Mapbox.
- Support Data Acquisition & Partnership efforts to procure the best quality and grow Mapbox's network of partners by owning all aspects of information management and dissemination of our provider network and data usage to facilitate efficient data procurement.
- Strengthen Data Services operational planning process by effectively working across Services and individual stakeholders at Mapbox on planning, logistics, and final delivery.
- Own the content, agenda, and full execution of Data Services-wide All-Hands to drive alignment across business priorities and transparency within the team, recognize collective accomplishments and individual wins, and cultivate a strong team culture.
What we believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Must have 3-5 years relevant experience in an operational role; experience in a technology company or startup environment is a plus.
- Prior experience in operations management, organizational planning, and/or event logistics is a plus.
- Ability to operate efficiently in a fast moving environment while juggling multiple priorities.
- Familiarity with budgeting, data management and analysis; knowledge of Mode, Tableau or other similar tools is a plus.
- Strong drive to observe and solve problems proactively, and always being solutions oriented.
- Strong command of MS Office Suite, Gmail, Slack; Zenhub experience is a plus.
- Excellent organizational management skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.