Research Scientist, Devices Optimization Services Science (DOSS)
Seattle, Washington, USA
Amazon.comFree shipping on millions of items. Get the best of Shopping and Entertainment with Prime. Enjoy low prices and great deals on the largest selection of everyday essentials and other products, including fashion, home, beauty, electronics, Alexa...
The Operation Research Science Team in the Amazon Devices Demand Planning org is looking for a Research Scientist with a background in Operations Research and Management Sciences. Our team is responsible for optimization algorithms which run world-wide supply chain which for the Amazon Devices business, which includes: tablets, eReaders, echo, Alexa, cameras, and other smart home appliances. We formulate and solve challenging large-scale optimization problems which ingest demand forecasts and produce optimal procurement, production, distribution, and inventory management plans. We are also responsible for the long term build capacity planning, which involves deciding on: whether we should green-light products; the level of investment in capital expenditures; material resources, inventory levels; and overall financial performance. We also work closely with the demand forecasting, material procurement, production planning, finance, and logistics teams to optimize our inventory allocation in our worldwide channels given operational constraints.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment and a desire to help shape the overall business.
· Design and develop advanced mathematical, optimization models and apply them to define strategic and tactical needs and drive the appropriate business and technical solutions in the areas of inventory management and distribution, network flow, supply chain optimization, demand planning.
· Apply mathematical optimization techniques (linear, quadratic, SOCP, robust, stochastic, dynamic, mixed-integer programming, network flows, nonlinear, nonconvex programming) and algorithms to design optimal or near optimal solution methodologies to be used by in-house decision support tools and software.
· Research, prototype and experiment with these models by using modeling languages such as Python, MATLAB, Mosel or R
· Create, enhance, and maintain technical documentation, and present to other Scientists, Product, and Engineering teams.
· Lead project plans from a scientific perspective by managing product features, technical risks, milestones and launch plans.
· Influence organization's long-term roadmap and resourcing, onboard new technologies onto Science team's toolbox, mentor other Scientists.
- Experience investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to business problems and products
- MS degree with at least 1 year of research experience in a quantitative field or PHD in a quantitative field
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, or Optimization related field
· Expertise in optimization: linear, non-linear, mixed-integer, large-scale, network, robust, stochastic
· Expertise in building optimization models and implementing them on OR tools (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi, XPRESS)
· Expertise in validating and simulating math optimization models
· Experience programming in Python, Java, C++, or related language
· Strong communication and documentation skills
Preferred QualificationsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, or Optimization related field with 2+ years of working experience
· Experts in one of the following areas: Stochastic Processes, Unconstrained Optimization Methods, Constrained Optimization Methods, MIP Methods, Heuristics and Approximation Algorithm
· Experience with large data sets, big data and analytics
· Exposure to forecasting and machine learning
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Python
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Other jobs like this
Sr. Technical Product Manager - AI/ML, Machine Learning Solutions LabAgile AWS Deep Learning Machine Learning ML MXNet PhD PyTorch SageMaker Statistical modeling +3
Career development Conferences Startup environment
Senior Applied Scientist, Amazon Software Builder InsightsAWS Economics Engineering Hadoop Machine Learning Matlab PhD Python R Research +5
Career development Conferences Salary bonus Signing bonus
Coupa Software, Inc.
Data ScientistANN Big Data Business Analytics Classification Deep Learning Engineering Feature engineering Git Industrial Machine Learning +8
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation Health care
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs