Machine Learning Researcher - Saalfeld Lab
Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. Our integrated teams of biologists, computational scientists, and tool-builders pursue a small number of scientific questions with potential for transformative impact. We share our methods, results, and tools with the scientific community. It is a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere that reflects HHMI’s reputation for excellence.
We are looking for a machine learning researcher who is enthusiastic about developing novel machine learning based analysis methods for large biological images and videos at the interface of cell biology and neuroscience. We are working closely with experimentalists and software engineers and you will be able to establish and design your own research project in tight collaboration with our and other labs, with access to excellent scientific and engineering support staff and resources. We are open source and open science enthusiasts, your work will contribute to popular open source packages and open data initiatives in the field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Design and development of machine learning based methods and tools for analysis of large and diverse biological data.
Collaboration and communication across disciplines.
Evaluation of accuracy and comparison to other methods.
Visualization of data and machine learning models.
Development of adaptable open-source code and usable software.
Communication, presentation, and publication of research.
Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Math, Physics or related field. If you don't have a Ph.D yet but believe you can compensate this with enthusiasm, creativity, and practical experience, reach out and let's talk.
Advanced knowledge of Machine Learning, Statistics, Calculus, Data structures and Algorithms.
Two years of machine learning research experience.
Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated expertise in machine learning and data analysis.
Enthusiasm for using computational approaches to learn to discover biological insights.
Analytical understanding of algorithms.
Strong basis in calculus, statistics, and probability.
Programming skills in Python, C/C++, Java, or equivalent.
Knowledge of deep learning libraries such as PyTorch or Tensorflow.
Careful and detail-oriented.
Communication, organization, and time management skills
Creative, organized, motivated, team player
Ability to prioritize workload.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs