Senior Backend Engineer / Data Scientist
komootWe love tech, we love nature, we make it easy for people to discover the best outdoor places. With just one tap.
Millions of people experience real-life adventures with our apps. We help people all over the world discover the best hiking and biking routes, empowering our users to explore more of the great outdoors. And we’re good at it: Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times – and, with more than 12 million users and 100,000 five-star reviews – komoot is on its way to become one of the most popular cycling and hiking apps.
Join our fully remote team of 60+ people and change the way people explore!
To help us continue to grow, we ‘re looking for an experienced backend developer with knowledge in data science. Komoot possesses a unique dataset of user-generated content, ranging from GPS data from tours, uploaded photos, and tips, to implicit and explicit user feedback. To get the biggest value from this raw data, we need your excellent software and analytical skills. The challenges include automatic evaluation and classification of our user-generated content as well as innovative approaches to assembling them into consumable inspiration for users (e.g. auto-generated tour suggestions tailored to users’ sport and location). You’ll wrap up your algorithms into clean and scalable microservices in our modern cloud environment. We believe that innovations based on data science will reinforce and extend our leadership in the outdoor market and your role will be decisive for komoot’s success.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- You’ll be challenged with a wide range of tasks for which there are no standard solutions
- You’ll have full ownership: from concept, prototypes, and building, to deploying and monitoring
- You’ll deal with diverse datasets (location data, social network, user content (images, text), external data sources like OSM, product analytics, ...)
- You’ll contribute to a product with a vision to inspire more people to go outdoors
- You’ll work in a fast-paced startup with strongly motivated and talented co-workers
- You’ll enjoy the freedom to organize yourself the way you want
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, your house, a coworking center of your choice, our HQ in Potsdam or anywhere else that lies in any time zone situated between UTC-1 and UTC+3
- You’ll travel together with our team to amazing outdoor places several times a year to exchange ideas, learnings and go for hikes and rides
You will love it becasue you will:
- Work closely with our data scientists, web and mobile developers, designers, copywriters and product managers
- Discuss product improvements, technical possibilities and road maps
- Investigate and evaluate data science approaches for product enhancements (you can count on the support of experienced data scientists)
- Turn prototypes into resilient and scalable REST APIs and background workers
- Deploy and monitor your code in our AWS Cloud
You will be successful in this position if you:
- Have a passion for finding pragmatic and smart solutions to complex problems
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in backend development in the cloud
- Have 2+ years of professional experience in Kotlin/Java/Scala
- Have 2+ years of professional experience in Python
- Know SQL and NoSQL
- Have a solid understanding of math and statistics
- Have a solid understanding of data science fundamentals
- Master Jupyter, pandas, NumPy, matplotlib/seaborn, scikit-learn
- Bonus: BigData experience (Spark, Presto, Hadoop)
- Bonus: Infrastructure as Code
- Bonus: Deployment, CI and monitoring
- Have strong communication and team skills
- Have a hands-on attitude and are highly self-driven
Sounds like you?
Great! Then send us the following
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience
- A write-up explaining who you are and why you are interested in working at komoot
- Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub Repositories, PDFs, Slideshare, etc.)
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, a blog or something else