Data Scientist (Remote)
Remote - London, England, United Kingdom
Boclips Data Science team: where the magic happens! Are you ready to shape the future of media-rich learning experiences for students around the world?
Boclips has big ambitions. We’ve built an AI-led product that is transforming the discoverability of multimedia content for education. Digital media such as videos and podcasts are critical in the online delivery of learning experiences to engage students and improve outcomes - but in order for those assets to provide value, they need to find their right place within the different learning curricula. That's where our data science team come in!
About the role
Our data scientists and data engineers (team of 5) are mostly considered “full stack” and are involved in every part of the process from prototype to production deployment and monitoring / analysis, however most team members have their own areas of expertise and interest.
Tech stack used
Python, Hugging Face, Gensim, Looker, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, GCP
Recent projects in data science include
- Automatically tagging videos with thema (subject) labels.
- Improving search and discovery in the product with search bubbles and related videos.
- Prototyping a new way of generating “learning sequences” of videos given a customer's topic and education level.
What you could be doing
- Identifying areas of the product and business which will benefit from data science and provide appropriate solutions.
- Using machine learning or data based solutions to scale curation efforts (involves tagging and search)
- Prototype solutions and collaborate and iterate to get to a production solution
- Assist in improving the internal data science teams tooling and process
- Building trust with other areas of the business (sales, content, marketing, finance etc)
We believe in hiring for data science aptitude over niche or deeply technical skills. Ideally you will bring some of the following.
- 1+ year of experience working in a data role.
- You can communicate clearly to, and build trust with all audiences, including non-technical team members and external partners.
- You’re a well-rounded data scientist who likes to understand the business context and anything else that might impact the product.
- A background of building and delivering data solutions from discovery to production.
- Commercial experience with Python (R is ok but you should be happy to learn and work on python projects as well).
- Good knowledge of some machine learning methods for example in NLP, classification modelling, recommender systems or object detection.
- You use data to make decisions, question assumptions and think of good solutions to the underlying problems.
- Care for our product and have a desire to improve it.
Nice to have
- Experience in a startup or fast-paced environment
- Experience with deep learning (e.g. object detection or transfer learning of pre-trained models to our context)
- Experience with improving discoverability in a search platform
- Experience tagging and extracting data from video and audio assets
- Experience with product analytics
- Some experience with business intelligence
- Mentoring colleagues
With every new team member, we aim to raise the average of our team. We're not looking for one single individual to meet all requirements, we're looking to find out what aspects of data science energise you and where your strengths are and find ways to embrace those.
What We Offer (UK)
- Target base salary £70,000+ or location equivalent (with some flex dependant on experience)
- Annual bonus up to 10% of salary
- 30 days PTO (+ 9 public holidays)
- Choose how you work (remote, office based in London, you choose)
- Private healthcare with Vitality
- Penfold Pension Scheme 8% total contribution
- Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks fully-paid)
- Professional development budget
- Home office set-up budget
- Global off-sites in Europe or US once a year. Lisbon in 2022!
Outside the UK or US, we have two employment options, either contracting or via remote.com.
At Boclips, we’re building a product for education, which means we are building a product for all learners. Our platform and its content is viewed by thousands of students around the world every week who have different needs, abilities and backgrounds. That’s why we are committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability so our team can better empathise with our users.
Other jobs like this
Cheminformatics Research ScientistData analysis Engineering Machine Learning Open Source Python PyTorch Research Scikit-Learn
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Health care Snacks / Drinks
Senior Data ScientistA/B testing Athena AWS Databricks Engineering Git GitHub KPIs Machine Learning PowerBI +5
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Health care +2
Senior Data Scientist, AnalyticsConsulting Data Mining Economics Engineering Excel KPIs R SQL Statistics
401(k) matching Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation +1
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs