Director, Software Engineering - Marketing Growth Platform (Machine Learning)
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Engineering focused on Machine Learning to be an influencer across all of the engineering teams within the business unit. The person in this role will be responsible for recruiting and leading globally distributed teams of highly talented software engineers, machine learning engineers and data science engineers focused on delivering ML & AI features, solutions and products that enable the Twilio customers to drive highly effective personal communicates that drive engagement. Reporting to the VP of Engineering in the Marketing & Growth Platform, this position is critical in supporting Twilio’s continued growth as we continue to build new applications and partnerships that expand into adjacent market spaces.
Twilio is looking for a Director of Engineering who embodies Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of guiding and nurturing distributed, diverse teams while influencing across the organization.
- You are a participative leader with developed emotional awareness that you use in service to your people.
- You have a passion for developing the next generation of engineering talent within your organization by providing an inclusive environment that fosters learning and growth.
- You have relevant work experience and a passion for continuously improving areas such as security, operability or quality initiatives and teams.
- You have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to present and communicate at all levels of an organization.
- You are technically savvy and experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility is a plus.
- You are an adaptable, quick-learning, team-playing, creative, problem solver that provides strategic direction and subject matter expertise for wide adoption of Machine Learning, Data Science and AI practices.
- You stay up-to-date on new security tools & techniques, you conduct research to drive innovation and process maturity.
- You have experience with software security, secure coding, or software assurance tools and techniques that you utilize to guide cross BU teams influencing continuous improvement to DevSecOps practices.
- You have a strong understanding and background in engineering with advanced knowledge of data science, machine learning and AI techniques, tools and platforms, to deliver intelligence features and products to enable our customers in their pursuit of personalized engagement.
- You define the quarterly goals that balance velocity, quality, operability and security while implementing projects and influencing teams to achieve those goals
- BE AN OWNER: Instill our values, behaviors and best practices throughout the organization to grow the capabilities of our engineering teams.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Provide a safe work environment that embraces failure as a way of learning and inspires our engineers to be inventive and motivated.
- NO SHENANIGANS: You always act in an honest, direct and transparent way and uphold our values.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Every minute of every day understand our customer needs and expectations from Twilio and align those with our strategies and plans.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate opportunities, risk and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal stakeholders.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: It is key for you to understand, document and define risks that drive enhance the organization's ability to prioritize while informing the business of these priorities.
- BE BOLD: Every big idea starts small, push the envelope and keep raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results. Never settle and keep pushing yourself and the teams forward.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Coach, mentor and inspire engineering teams by building and ensuring a safe and inclusive environment where all voices can be heard.
- DRAW THE OWL: Influence teams to continuously be improving while supporting progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- DON’T SETTLE: Always look for the next opportunity for Twilio to improve our intelligence capabilities through data science, machine learning and advanced AI techniques.
The Marketing & Growth Platform team is critical to Twilio's continued growth. We deliver solutions that allow our customers to engage with their users with critical communications over the right channels, at the right times with the optimal content with automated and intelligent capabilities. It is important that you execute strategically focusing on uplifting our execution to deliver highly intelligent solutions utilizing advanced data modeling, machine learning and AI techniques.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
- Travel required - up to 25% of the time post-COVID
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers