Senior Data Engineer - Boulder, Co
Come see what’s cookin’ at HelloFresh!
At HelloFresh, we want to revolutionize the way we eat by making it more convenient and exciting to cook meals
from scratch. We have offices all over the world and we deliver delicious meals to millions of people.
We are the industry leader in meal-kit subscription services and we’re growing all the time. We have distinct meal-
kit services that cater to everyone with the most menu variety in the market, which allows us to reach an
incredibly wide population of people.
The HelloFresh team is diverse, high-performing, and international, and our work environment is an inspiring space
where you can thrive as a result.
We are growing our Data Engineering team to take our data modeling and automation to the next level. The Data
Engineering team is part of the broader Growth Organization (Data Science, Digital Product, Marketing) and works
closely with Data Scientists to build and maintain best-in-class data products to improve HelloFresh’s user-
experience and marketing effectiveness. The Data Engineering department is focused on designing scalable and
automated data flows using a variety of big data tools and platforms (AWS Glue, Airflow, Spark, Databricks Cloud
We are hiring a Senior Data Engineer to lead HelloFresh’s Data Infrastructure & Automation workstreams as a key
member of the Data Engineering team.
Our vision is to maintain a best-in-class automated data platform directing our marketing initiatives on delivering
the right food box at the desired price point to the front door of all our customers. We are looking for someone
who can head up our engineering key projects and mentor our more junior engineers.
You will ...
● Data modeling: design, extend and update the HelloFresh’s data model (create new schemas, fact tables,
mat views, joins, etc.)
● Data cleaning/enrichment: keeping data clean and consistent with production systems (e.g. bug fixes,
● Design and implement end-to-end data products and marketing automation flows: from data ingestions
for data science modeling to creation of automated pipelines to external software (Salesforce, etc.)
● Data infrastructure: maintaining and deploying ETLs on Databricks cloud
● Design automated Monitoring of ETLs in production
● Data Transformations: implement the logic of the data pipeline (aggregations, projections, selections, etc
● Data Cleaning: keeping data clean and accurate with data sources (DWH, 3rd Party)
● An active, solution-oriented member of autonomous, cross-functional agile teams collaborating with
Product Owners, Data Scientists, and Business Intelligence teams
● Able to develop an in-depth understanding of HelloFresh’s core product and architecture, and act as an
ambassador for state of the art software solutions and industry best practices offering support and
mentorship to colleagues
At a minimum, you have...
● MSc in a STEM discipline with 5+ years’ related professional experience is required
● 1-2 years experience with Apache Spark required, advanced Python (functional and OOP) and SQL skills
(DDL, DML, CTEs, query optimization, ...)
● Knowledge of data structures (DataFrames, RDDs, Dataclasses) and data formats (CSV, JSON, Parquet,
● Required prior experience installing data architectures on Cloud providers (e.g. AWS), using DevOps tools
and automating data pipelines.
● The ability to design, implement and deliver maintainable and high-quality code using best practices (e.g.
git/github, secrets, configurations, yaml/json)
● Experience with data modeling, design patterns, building highly scalable and secured solutions preferred
● Min 2 years experience with job orchestration tools like Airflow, Luigi or similar
● Experience with end-to-end testing of data pipelines and implementing Data Quality checks (e.g. using
frameworks AWS Deequ) is preferred.
● Competitive Salary & 401k company match that vests immediately upon participation
● Generous parental leave of 16 weeks & PTO policy
● $0 monthly premium and other flexible health plans effective first day of employment
● 75% discount on your subscription to HelloFresh (as well as other product initiatives)
● Snacks, cold brew on tap & monthly catered lunches
● Company sponsored outings & Employee Resource Groups
● Collaborative, dynamic work environment within a fast-paced, mission-driven company
It is the policy of HelloFresh not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because they are a protected veteran.