Senior Autonomy Systems Engineer (Hybrid)
Ann Arbor, MI
May MobilityWe are building a safer, greener, more accessible world through autonomous mobility. We're May Mobility. Nice to move you.
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
May’s Lead Engineers are front line problem solvers that get things done. May’s lead engineers have the initiative, experience, and technical skill to be able to solve problems delegated to them without oversight. Confidence backed by knowledge and experience is a must.
As a Lead Autonomy System engineer you will lead the solution of challenging and complex problems facing vehicle autonomy. You will lead the design of future May autonomy systems and track down and solve the system’s most difficult issues.
Autonomy system engineers are responsible for the integrated functioning of the autonomy system. Systems engineers interact with vision, LIDAR, RADAR, tracking, intent, decision making, control, networking, health monitoring, computers, graphics cards, and power. System engineers drive forward architectural design and hardware/software design through collaboration across other engineering groups. You will be a go to person for understanding how new features will fit in, how the system might fail, how to best evolve the system to be more effective or efficient, and how to keep the system working.
As a leader, you will set an example of initiative, data-driven decision making, design, and trouble-shooting. You will also guide and mentor more junior autonomy engineers so that they can work more effectively with May’s systems. This position reports to the VP of Autonomy.
Your opportunity to drive success:
- Take initiative to understand every aspect of the May vehicle architecture - hardware, software, networking, configurations - all of it.
- Take initiative to find and permanently solve challenging system level issues caused by the interplay between different software and hardware components.
- Troubleshoot and support troubleshooting of challenging field issues.
- Collaborate with vehicle engineering and SDI (Software, DevOps, and Infrastructure) teams to solve problems and design next generations systems.
- Lead evaluation of future system concepts including planning and executing evaluation and experimentation plans.
- Design, build, and maintain the May autonomy system architecture, ensuring interfaces between components are consistent and well tested.
- Design, build, and maintain cross-functional autonomy components such as the May Communications and Marshalling (MCM) system and other similar components.
- Assess and develop approaches that improve performance in a variety of ways (e.g. CPU performance, memory usage, disk usage, network usage).
- Assess and improve system robustness to systematic stochastic and transient issues that impact autonomous vehicle performance.
- Support other autonomy engineers in designing and integrating their components with the full May system.
- A system engineer may, periodically, also support development of May autonomy components.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in autonomous robotics system engineering with a broad focus across multiple aspects of autonomous robot components.
- Experience taking components and systems through the full product lifecycle from gathering requirements to maintaining a product while operating in the wild
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example and mentor more junior engineers
- Demonstrated strong troubleshooting and analytic skills including ability to get and analyze data quickly and accurately at the full system level and diving into various subsystems
- Demonstrated fearlessness in the presence of complex systems - a willingness to dive in, understand, and get things done.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and clearly about complex system behaviors, structures, and issues.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and lead system-wide improvements when working with other teams without having direct ownership or management responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in autonomous robotic systems
- Experience with autonomous cars, trucks, or similar vehicles.
- A masters or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or a similar field
- Previous experience in a startup or high performance research and development group with an emphasis on delivery
- Some management experience (this is not a management position, but some first hand awareness of management issues is helpful)
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary and benefits (medical / dental / vision / 401k)
- Meaningful stock incentives and equity refresh program
- Unlimited vacation / company paid holidays
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Paid parental leave
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Other jobs like this
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Machine Learning Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs