Engineering Manager - Data Infrastructure
Swvl is a transformative tech-enabled mobility platform based in Dubai that enhances the safety, reliability, and convenience of mass transit in some of the world's most challenging and complex emerging markets. It is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the $1tn global mass transit market opportunity with daily commuting, inter-city retail travel, and TaaS transportation solutions. Swvl currently operates in 32 cities and 16 countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. The differentiated proprietary technology stack features dynamic routing and pricing for both driver supply and customer demand; smart assignment technology that optimizes the driver experience.
With a track record of exponential growth, Swvl achieved annual gross revenue growth of 430% over the past four years (2017–2020). More than 1.4 million riders to date have booked nearly 50 million rides with thousands of drivers on Swvl's platform. TaaS offerings have grown gross revenue per client by 4x with ~115% net dollar retention over the past two years. Swvl has undergone rapid geographic expansion, including a launch into Europe through the recent acquisition of Shotl, an on-demand bus platform with more than 10% market share in Europe and over 350K bookings to date. Swvl recently entered into a business combination with Queen's Gambit Growth Capital. Implied, fully diluted equity value is $1.5bn, including an upsized PIPE of $100mn, of which $35.5mn has been pre-funded to accelerate the company's growth plans. Swvl is the first $1bn+ unicorn from the region to list on NASDAQ and the first mass transit solutions company on any exchange. The PIPE was led by strategic and financial investors including Agility, Luxor Capital & Zain.
Founded on strong ESG principles, Swvl advances social and economic equity while reducing congestion by an estimated 14.4 million person-hours. The platform has prevented approximately 245 million pounds of Co2 emissions since its inception.
About the Job
Data plays a critical role in understanding how our teams makes critical business decisions. As Engineering Manager for the Data Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for leading and growing the engineering team that builds the infrastructure which enables Swvl to be data driven organization.
The Data Infrastructure team’s area of ownership is broad in scope; it includes foundational abstractions for product instrumentation and experimentation, scaling our data warehouse and improving developer experience, and building tools that democratize the use of data for the whole business. The team works closely with Data Engineering, a separate team focused on building internal data products and data marts.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage the team including day to day execution and long term planning. You will solicit new project ideas, prioritise them for impact, and drive execution.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture. Provide career guidance and performance feedback to all team members to ensure strategic impact and career progression.
- Own critical data infrastructure that enables data-based decision making at Swvl and ensure the team has the right process for monitoring, capacity planning and operations.
- Ensure that all engineers at Swvl have the right abstractions to successfully instrument new product features, conduct experiments, and integrate with the data warehouse.
- Define the strategy for how we will bridge the gap between our data warehouse and our serving system, and how we will unify batch and realtime data processing.
- Proactively look for ways to improve engineering at Swvl. This may include introducing new tools or technologies, making process improvements, leading or organizing training.
- Work with recruiting and engineering to source qualified engineering candidates, improve our interview process, and make great hires to continue scaling the team.
- You have deep knowledge of industry best practices for the design of data warehouses and analytics infrastructure.
- You understand the ecosystem of data technologies, including both batch and realtime systems, and can advocate for their use in our architecture.
- Experience in managing, organizing and prioritizing multiple projects and workstreams.
- You are passionate about building and operating services and have good knowledge of industry best practices in backend engineering.
- You are intellectually curious, excited to learn new skills and grow as a manager and as a leader.
- Experience in growing and mentoring engineers.
- Passionate about recruiting and growing diverse teams of engineers.
- 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager to Lead in a similar related role.
What We Offer
- Great opportunity to be part of a start-up with a lot of responsibility and independence early on and where you will have an impact on the entire business
- Attractive compensation package
- Access to Udemy for learning and development
Our Ways of Working
- Remote and sync work, work from anywhere in the world
- Product first mindset
- The best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better
Our Technology Stack
- For backend, we build in Node.js, go-lang, and typescript
- For the frontend, we build using Node.js and react
- For mobile, we use Swift and Kotlin
- We use AWS and GCP for cloud services
- We manage our infrastructure with Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Istio, Vault, Docker, ArgoCD and DataDog
- For persistence, we are mostly using MongoDB & SQL databases
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for but feel you could be a fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway. We are building a diverse and inclusive team.
Other jobs like this
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Machine Learning Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs