Data and Senior Data Engineer, Productivity Engineering
XeroXero online accounting software for your business connects you to your bank, accountant, bookkeeper, and other business apps. Start a free trial today.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
We are on the lookout for multiple Data engineers in Productivity Engineering which is part of the wider Technology group. Productivity Engineering is an internal tooling team, focusing on decreasing the cognitive load of our engineers to allow faster delivery of value to our small business and accounting customers.
We plan to make world class engineering at Xero easy and fun, automating repeatable tasks, providing engineering insights, reports and dashboard to support our DevOps transformation to push forward through productivity.
In this specific team, Engineering Insights, we provide engineering metrics to engineering teams at Xero. These metrics reflect teams' ways-of-working, and the health of systems they maintain. These metrics are used by Xero engineering teams to drive improvement, and by internal stakeholders to see a birds eye view of engineering across the organisation.
We are a new team forming in this space and we hope you can bring in your experiences to form our team culture. Our team members are based in Australia and New Zealand.
About the role
You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices. As a Data Engineer, you will engineer large and complex data sets, as well as build robust, reusable and optimised data pipelines. You will develop, administer and operate the data pipelines and data enrichment activities on an internal Data platform. You will have broad technical skills of developing and implementing data pipelines as well as data infrastructure to support the implementation of data transformation for analytics , business intelligence, machine learning models and other data projects.
We would love to talk to you if:
- Are comfortable with or keen to learn the most of the following technologies: SQL, Snowflake, dbt, Python, AWS, AWS Serverless (Lambda Functions), SQS, -SNS, S3, Glue, Athena, Terraform, Kubernetes, CI/CD pipelines eg: TeamCity, etc.
- Implement data pipelines to: - extract data from multiple sources.- transform data using stream, micro-batch or batch methods
- Deploy data pipelines following DevOps principles and incorporating automated code & data testing.
- Build highly scalable and resilient data pipelines
- Develop and maintain ETL processes and processing schedules required to produce data sets
- Provide support to data quality and data validation through analysis of data and assisting in understanding the meaning of data
- Build and manage robust cloud architectures to provide efficient processing and transformation of data.
- Have familiarity with data integration tools (such as dbt) and any data testing tools (example dbt expectations, deeq)
- Have some experience in data modeling (example data vault) and visualization in ways that are most valuable to customers
- Are experienced in orchestration tools (such as Apache Airflow, Prefect)
- Have hands-on experience utilising Terraform tools to orchestrate infrastructure (Infrastructure as Code).
- Understand the best practices in the storage formats, storage and processing of data, as well as software best practices, automated testing, and distributed systems.
- Collaborate with the team to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers
- Contribute to discussions around technical, architectural and process improvements
- Advocate for continuous improvement of systems and processes within the team, and across the organisation
- Establish and maintain good working relationships both within your immediate team and the wider organisation
What you’ll bring with you:
- A growth mindset
- Proficient use of one or more programming languages and tools
- Has developed a specialisation in one or more specific technologies or areas of the development stack
- Ability to communicate with and manage stakeholders and customers
- Ability to debug across a technology stack
- Ability to analyse complex data sets
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying products
- Proficient in roll out and maintenance of cloud infrastructure
- Familiar with Data and infrastructure security concerns and proactively mitigates issues
- Regularly practices test driven and trunk based development
- Demonstrated ability to respond to production incidents
- Familiarity with Eventing
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is a Rainbow Tick certified employer.
Xero strongly encourages employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine what reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.
Other jobs like this
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Machine Learning Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs