Data Analyst - Simulation
London, Greater London, UK
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
- Liaising with stakeholders to agree scope and form of analysis requests
- Identifying key data and assumption inputs for simulations and seeking them out from the relevant owners of that data
- Delivering analysis requests using the appropriate simulation tooling
- Presenting analysis to stakeholders and responding to questions
- Providing information about systems and expert advice to stakeholders including flagging risks
- Identifying opportunities for simulation analysis to add additional value to the business
- Working with the Supply Chain teams who implement the candidate control systems and tooling, in order to feed into discussions about requirements
The analysis itself is likely to involve using some of the following): Python, SQL, Google BigQuery, Microsoft Excel, basic statistics, Tableau & Google Data Studio.
Given that we are creating a simulation analysis function for the first time in London, working as part of a team based in Hatfield will be required for the first six months of the role whilst building up the analysis function in London. Whilst remote working is in place to deal with Covid-19 this will involve remote working with the team in Hatfield; if and when we return to office-based work, this will involve regular trips to the Hatfield office.
What does the team do?
As part of the expansion of the new London office, the Logistics & Supply Chain department is creating a new Simulation team, focused entirely on modelling and simulating the Supply Chains to our global customers’ warehouses. It’s an exciting team, at the heart of key business decisions, and as a result is an environment with a steady stream of interesting, challenging and stretching problems to solve.
We’re looking for someone with analytical skills and experience to help the team provide valuable insight to the wider business. You will work closely with diverse stakeholders to understand their requirements, configure the appropriate simulations and convert the results into clear and meaningful analysis. Through research, experimentation and collaboration, you will be able to have a significant impact on the Supply Chain department and the business as a whole.
What we are looking for:
- Proven numeracy and ability to think analytically, e.g. a good degree in a numerical subject
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Speed of learning, able to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate technical details with a non-technical team, and vice versa
- Advanced with MS Excel, along with data analysis or data-driven research
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Simulation, and the validation (of the output or accuracy) of simulations
- Domain experience/knowledge of supply chains - and how data in such operations can be structured
- Tableau, Google Data Studio, SQL, Google BigQuery, Python (Pandas for data manipulation)
- Experience working with software development teams
- Exposure to Agile processes, e.g. Kanban, Scrum
What we offer you:
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.