Principal Software Engineer - Machine Learning
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio seeks a Principal Software Engineer to be a key leader in defining a new product offering at Twilio in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Twilio’s data and intelligence strategy, which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications and experiences for their contacts. Come be part of a team that's building a set of ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience and personalization recommendations.
- Personal traits - curious, humble, servant leader
- Professional traits - customer-obsessed, gets things done, highly collaborative, excellent communicator, and very comfortable with rapid change and uncertainty
- Your experience:
- Phd plus 3+ years/Masters plus 5+ years or Bachelor's plus 7+ years of education and work experience in designing high-performance, secure, multi-tenant cloud service
- Experience taking an enterprise product from concept to 100MM+ api transactions a day
- Experience leading group discussions on complex enterprise SaaS architecture, from high level concepts to low level details
- Able to get “fingers dirty” to evaluate technology and develop proofs of concepts
- Possess the soft skills required to technically lead a team of 5-15 engineers by influence and examples
- Experience with data processing (queues, etl, nosql, spark) and data integration at terabyte scale
- Experience working with Machine Learning engineers and have knowledge of modeling and inference techniques
- How you think:
- Independent - asks questions when something doesn’t make sense, and takes ownership of initiatives in an organized fashion
- Organized - able to meet tight deadlines and maintain high-quality work
- Communicative - able to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Growth-minded - eager and open to learn and evolve quickly
- Self-structured - strong ability to work independently and efficiently, prioritize multiple tasks, and execute reliably
You live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Understand the product roadmap and provide proactive, meaningful insight & identification of long-term or overall aims and interests and the means of achieving them to the team.
- BE AN OWNER: Understand software components from multiple partner teams, lead the integration of those components into the unified product code base, and drive their continued development.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Serves as an enabler for the team through collaboration and technical solutions. Build trust on the team so they feel comfortable coming to you and involving you in architectural decisions.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Passion for and demonstrated track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs.
- DRAW THE OWL: Create example applications that demonstrate effective use of platform APIs.
- BE BOLD: Identify, propose, and implement improvements in core software infrastructure and architecture across the entire code base.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborating and brainstorming product ideas with product managers, data scientists and engineers.
- DON’T SETTLE: Experienced working at a massive scale with distributed, scalable systems, including making tradeoffs for consistency/availability.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative and team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this project is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.