Director, Data Engineering
Remote, United States
About the Team
Slack is looking for an experienced Director of Software Engineering to lead our Data Engineering organization. Our team works to provide an ecosystem to help users quickly and easily answer questions about usage so that they can make better informed decisions. In this role you will lead the team responsible for the infrastructure at the heart of our efforts to make Slack more intelligent and scalable. This work directly impacts our mission to make teams more productive and simplify how work gets done. This Director will report to our SVP of Infrastructure Engineering and partner closely with the Director of Research and Analytics.
- Lead and grow a team of software engineers and managers, delivering a scalable, performant data engineering ecosystem to internal and external clients.
- Act as the primary driver for Data Engineering’s collaboration with other organizations within Slack, including the offices of the CTO and CPO, as well as Engineering.
- Set the technical foundation upon which Slack’s next generation of data products will be built.
- Build a roadmap that envelopes both a broad vision of Data Engineering’s role at Slack with specific goals and deliverables.
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- You have extensive experience leading large teams, enabling people to build impactful technology at web scale.
- You develop leaders who in turn, build inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it.
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your teammates' best work to clients with varying levels of technical fluency.
- You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in data engineering and operation to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice.
- You have a demonstrated domain expertise, either in building large scale data infrastructures at ubiquitous SaaS or consumer cloud software companies and leveraging technologies such as Hive, Presto, Spark, Hadoop, and AWS or GCP.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.