Sr. Manager, Data Engineering and Architecture
Remote, United States
As Senior Manager at Slack, you will be a people leader of a team of Data Engineers and responsible for creating architecture and data engineering solutions that are aligned to Slack’s business growth and addresses short-term and long-term analytics needs.
We are looking for an energetic, self-starter with a results-oriented spirit and the ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape. The right candidate enjoys and excels at team building and development, as well as collaborating across functions. If you take pride in your technical expertise, have a passion for innovation and a desire to improve the data across Slack, this job is perfect for you!
- Hires, develops and leads Data Engineers while playing an active role in deliverables for the team (coach/player).
- Strategic Planning Management: Plans and manages of the priorities for the team. Participates and contributes to fiscal quarter planning and budgeting. Establishes and tracks OKRs and presents progress to leadership.
- Pursue user-impacting issues with the grit and determination needed to see them through to resolution.
- Growth learner that has passion for data technologies and data architecture and shares the latest and greatest in the market and finds application in the working environment.
- Develops and adheres to standard methodologies: data engineering, data quality, analysis, validation to ensure team provide quality work to company and builds trust with analytics solutions.
- Partners with analytics teams (sales, marketing, finance, etc) to understand data engineering requirements and work with team to plan deliverables and resource capacity.
- Partners with cross functional data teams to align on product usage data, business data, development standards and overall data strategy.
- Accomplished presentation skills and ability to present data and information to clients and senior leader teams.
- To be consistently accurate in calculations and data entry.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 8 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 5 years experience; or equivalent experience.
- Overall 10+ years in data engineering/data warehousing, or data architect roles and 6+ years in people management.
- Experience in hiring at various levels and growing the team that engages across locations globally.
- Experience working with partners in traditionally non-engineering functions (Sales, Marketing, Legal, HR, Finance, etc).
- Deep knowledge of Data Warehousing principles and dimensional models and sourcing data.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills are essential
- Experience leading teams with an on-call rotation and acting as an incident commander during critical outages.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.