Sr. Manager, Data Science - Network
Remote, United States
Posted 4 months ago
Slack is hiring a Sr. Manager of Data Science in San Francisco to oversee the Data Science team working in the Network product area, responsible for helping people and teams connect externally via shared channels. This group studies everything about the connections companies are making on Slack with external partners. This role will be responsible for both building and leading a high-performing team, and also delivering a crisp data narrative around our customers and product usage. Success requires analytical savviness, problem-solving sophistication, a willingness to roll up your sleeves and a dedication to make the highest impact possible. We are looking for someone that can think on their feet and thrive in a dynamic environment.
You will be part of the broader Research and Analytics team responsible for empowering the organization to make data-informed decisions. You will partner closely with leaders in Research and Analytics, working together to understand the how and why of people, team and company challenges, workflows and culture.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Set a compelling vision and prioritize work based on business partner objectives and overall goals
- Lead a high-performing, high-throughput team of talented Data Scientists, while driving professional development goals of the team
- Partner closely with our Product and marketing leadership team to influence planning and prioritization
- Synthesize business insights and communicate a data narrative around product usage, tying this into the overall Slack strategy
- Work with the team to manage the end-to-end process: scope projects, build pipelines and datasets, synthesize results, craft automated dashboards/bots, and communicate an informed recommendation. Jump in when needed!
- Contribute high quality work as an individual contributor, in addition to management duties
- Partner closely with Researchers, and when appropriate, align roadmaps and collaborate on projects to answer complex questions
- Build partnership and alignment with our data cross-functional partners, including Data Engineering and Business Intelligence, to author and develop core data sets and empower operational and exploratory analysis
- Play an active role in building a best-in-class team, with a responsibility to contribute best practices and serve as a role model
- Communicate solutions confidently and effectively across Slack
We strive to build a culture that stabilizes our values and have high standards of execution. We require someone who can:
- Be humble, hardworking and collaborative in order to connect with the team and throughout the business
- Remain focused while working across a wide variety of projects
- Simplify huge data sets, complex problems and extract insights with frameworks and analyses
What you should have
- 6+ years of data analytics work experience and 2+ years of management experience
- Extensive experience with network theory
- A proven track record of using quantitative analysis to impact key decisions
- Ability to build clear and concise presentations, and communicate effectively at every level of the organization
- Experience dealing with unstructured business issues and successfully leading teams to resolve these issues
- Experience writing SQL queries and working with large data sets
- Strong project management skills
- BA/BS degree. Graduate degree a plus
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.