Quantum Data Scientist- Industial Process Sector
Yorktown Heights, New York, US
As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clients’ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether it’s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Quantum computers are incredibly powerful machines that take a new approach to processing information. Built on the principles of quantum mechanics, they exploit complex and fascinating laws of nature that are always there, but usually remain hidden from view. By harnessing such natural behavior, quantum computers can run new types of algorithms to process information more holistically. They may one day lead to revolutionary breakthroughs in materials and drug discovery, the optimization of complex manmade systems, and artificial intelligence. We expect them to open doors that we once thought would remain locked indefinitely.
What you’ll be doing:
IBM Services is looking for a Quantum Data Scientist who will interface with research and algorithm experts to implement quantum approaches, which includes data pre-/post-processing, running numerics and visualizing data. Working with quantum industry experts, you will be a key member of a multi-discipline squad focused on building quantum capabilities and researching quantum application development for clients within process sector industries, including chemicals, oil and gas, industrial products and continuous manufacturing.
- Work with IBM Q Start team on active exploratory research engagements to prepare for future use case commercialization within specific industries
- Interact with client data science teams to explore promising areas for quantum
- Implement quantum approaches, which includes data pre-/post-processing, running numerics and visualizing data
- Collaborate with industry and solutioning experts to design and shape experiments to demonstrate quantum-enabled advantage
- Contribute best practices related to information architecture, including collection, integration, organization, analysis and visualization of data for quantum-enabled impact
- Support practice development initiatives focused on building employee knowledge and skills in specific areas of expertise through coaching and development of training course material
- Skill development: We help our employees develop and grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: Endless career paths and advancement opportunities
- Diversity of people: Commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive culture
IBM offers a competitive benefits program, designed to help employees build a solid financial foundation for meeting a diverse array of needs.
• Parental Bonding/Maternity Leave
• Paid Care Leave
• Healthcare, Dental and Vision
• Flexible Work Hours
• Adoption and Surrogacy Assistance Program
• Employee Discounts
• Worldwide Diversity & Inclusion and Business Resource Groups
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan
• Retirement Plan
Learn more about what working at IBM can mean for you!
IBM has been recognized over the years for our ability to innovate and promote a culture of principles and values, using technology as a key element.
Fortune — Most Admired Companies
DiversityInc. — Top 10 Companies for Global Diversity
National Association of Female Executives — Top 50 Companies for Female Executives
Working Mother — 100 Best Companies
2016 Climate Leadership Award
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- PhD/Masters in STEM related fields with knowledge in quantum computing.
- 2+ years of data engineering and data science experience
- 1+ year of consulting experience within specific industries
- Familiarity with classical approaches for optimization, machine learning and linear algebra, including linear and combinatorial optimization, routing heuristics, classification and clustering technics, numerical simulation, statistics analysis, real time processing
- Familiar with Qiskit software, including Qiskit Aqua for domain applications and Qiskit Terra for quantum circuit design and optimization
- Excellent ideation, facilitation and communications skills
- Detail-oriented team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to take a leadership role when necessary
- English: Fluent
*Must be willing to travel both domestically and globally up to 40% (Will be required once we return to a travel-safe normal)
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with linear programming and/or general mathematical programming
- Proficiency in Python with good knowledge of Jupyter, Tensor, Numpy
- Deep knowledge and application expertise in ML/DL
- Familiarity with Qiskit and quantum concepts and principles, able to model classical ML/DL algorithms within quantum principles
- Experience with some aspect of high-performance computing use within an industry context
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: Circuit Design Consulting Engineering Healthcare Industrial Machine Learning ML NumPy Open Source Python Research Travel