Senior Data Engineer
Redwood City, CA
Course Hero is scaling!
We are looking for a motivated, and progressive Senior Data Engineer that will help build our next-generation Data Platform. We are searching for someone who has a devops mentality and passionate about innovating, optimizing and automating data at scale.
You can expect high impact and wide-ranging responsibilities: As a Senior Data Engineer you will have deep hands-on experience working with Data Scientists, Machine Learning experts, and Search Engineers. The scalable systems you build will enable our product designers to bring powerful data products to the Course Hero platform.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- 5+ years relevant data experience
- Work with a team of passionate data engineers and scientists to enable data mining, deep learning, statistical modeling, predictive analytics, machine learning, and NLP.
- Empower engineers and to innovate and discover insights by removing the technical barriers that come with processing big data.
- Ensure compliance with the organization's high bar for data quality and modeling standards, across the product and related business areas.
- Provide tools to empower internal teams across the organization (sales, operations, finance, engineering, etc.) to make data-driven decisions.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code through a continuous delivery model.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and document administration and response procedures through runbooks & playbooks.
Are you our Star Senior Data Engineer?
- Worked with Machine Learning experts and Data Scientists to enable self-service data ingestion, transformation, visualization, reporting and advanced analytics (machine learning, AI).
- Strategic thinker and thrive operating in a broad scope, from conception through continuous operation.
- Robust Ops foundation - you’re always thinking “What happens if this fails” when you build things.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, economics, engineering, or other related fields.
- Expert in Mysql and other relational database technologies.
- Hands-on experience working with large scale data ingestion, ETL processing, storage, Hadoop ecosystems, Spark, non-relational databases (NoSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra), and messaging systems (Kafka, Kinesis, RabbitMQ).
- Written scripts in one or more languages such as Python or Go.
- Understand open source software like Kafka, Arvo, ElasticSearch, NGINX, Kubernetes, and Docker.
- Familiar with Python analytics libraries or use of R language.
- Experience with standard IT security practices such as Access, Authorization, and Key Management.
- Performed hands on work using AWS stack (i.e. S3, Redshift, EC2, SNS, SQS, SES, DynamoDB, Kinesis).
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as the 278th Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500 and also 2019’s One of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the Bay Area News Group. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more!)
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Onsite gym – Pacific Shores Center – Classes – Pool – Spa – Rock Wall - Massages!
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City
- 10K Local move benefit to move within 10 miles of our office!
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures